Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beadlock ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Judd, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Does one need beadlocks on the rear since they don't have to put up with the side loads that the front tires do?
    Also, who's beadlocks do ya'll most favor? Looking to buy a set for the 1st time and I don't want to do it again.
    BTW, these are going to be used on 3/4 ton axles, D44 front and a 14 bolt FF in the rear. Anyone make a set of 15s that won't require caliper grinding without resorting to a way crazy backspacing? I am only interested in steel wheels.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Purty Beadlocks Depdog! How do you like the Allied's? I cant get Keith to send me a pic of his 42's on the Rockstompers! What did you use to Balance them? Good writeup!

I built my own beadlocks and they work well. They cost roughly the same as beadlocks on the market, but are much stronger.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> As far as function goes I dig the Trailreadys, but I find the big rings to be a little to "Bling Bling" for my tastes. When I was planning on getting beadlocks I had decided on Rockstompers with the countersunk bolts. Clean looking and no bolt heads sticking out to get snagged on rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG] </font color>

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    42's on the Rockstompers

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

7. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

coloradok5, I went to the site and saw they have beadlocks for 16.5s, most places don't have the 16.5s with beadlocks. This is good as I won't have to worry about interference with my calipers. Since there is no beadlock on the back side and no safety bead either, would the tire slip off on the back side when aired down? Or is something that is not a problem?
    BTW, thanks for the replies.

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have had my 16.5 TR's down to 4 PSI with no problems, the most important bead (most likely to fail) is the outside bead which is locked. That being said I did see a 15" inside bead go once so anything can happen but that would be a rare occurance.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The weight of the vehicle generally presses on the outside bead only, so the outer beadlock is the most important one by far. If you're worried about it you can weld a safety bead on to the rim for the inner bead. </font color>

10. Depdog

I like them a lot, they are true, the ring desing works well and really helps with protection of the tire sidewall under extreme flex. The 32 bolts are good and bad. Good cause they hold great and are strong, bad cause DAYMN thats a lot of torque wrench time. LOL

You gonna make it down for the run in April?

Depdog

11. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Depdog, where in Georgia are you located?

12. Depdog

Stockbridge, its about 20 min. South of Atlanta.

Depdog

13. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Cool man, I live in Cumming Ga.. You mostly go to Beasly Knob and Tellico? I've been out of it for a few years and I'm just getting back into it. Hope to see you around. Drive a camo'ed K5. Yea I know, that's like saying I drive a white Tercel in Atlanta. Thanks for all the info folks.

14. Depdog

There are quite a few of us GA boys on here. Most of them are located in your neck of the woods, well at least on the north side of Atlanta. We get together every now and then and wheel.

Depdog

15. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree on the Tq Wrench time! I have 32 bolts as well. I used the air rachet to take them down (about 4 trips around the clock), then I torqued them to 20 ft. lbs., they have held air and work fine.

I will not make the run in April - I am putting together the MWSK5T run for April 12-13 in Hot Springs.