Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

beadlocks on 16.5 wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Jan 29, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Who's got em?
    Anybody done the Rockstomper DIY locks or something similiar. Can I booger weld the rings onto my own wheels or should I leave it up to a "pro". Just gettin ideas here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

If you can't do quality welding, leave it to a pro. That is the most important part. If your weld would fail your tire would most likely come off the rim, at high speed killing you or someone else. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TireLocs....

If you're going to spend the money, you may as well get something that will secure the inner bead too.

See my .sig for the TireLoc photo album.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If your weld would fail your tire would most likely come off the rim, at high speed killing you or someone else

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about high speed? This thing does everything slowly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm a pretty competent welder. I was more interested in whether or not others have attempted it to see if it is worth it.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I make the DIY beadlocks and don't mind saying mine look much better than the Rockstompers, and if you can't weld and be proficient at it, you shouldn't do them yourself. Leave it to a pro. They don't take long so it probably wouldn't cost a lot of dough to get a welding shop to do it or if you know somebody who can weld, your in like flynn. Other than that, anybody can do them. If you have any more questions shoot me a pm. I'll be glad to help you with any questions you may have.

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Greg, I lookd tireloc's site, pretty cool idea.
    How do they perform? And of course, how much <font color="green"> $$$ </font> ?

7. Greg72

They work like a champ.....

I've run trails at 3psi no problemo (the inner bag stays at 25psi) They act like a "runflat" if you ever really shred a tire, and it takes less time to air up and down because you never touch the air inside the beadlocked area.

Pretty ingenious. Roughly $200ea depending on size. JD Offroad sells them, but they are manufactured overseas, so the shipping delays can be a bummer....I think mine took about 8 weeks to get here.

8. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

If your looking for a beadlock in 16.5 why not run Hummer wheels. They are double beadlock and you can get runflats. They look cool too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Even if you are a novice welder (what I consider myself) it is very difficult to make an air tight weld, and even harder on a round surface for a full 360° and more than 52" long. I am working on my welding skills right now and pressure testing them also (I can get to about 45psi and then I find leaks /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif)
    If you can do it they are the right price /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Need info on both the Tirelocs {could not find the product at JD's Offroad} and where and how much a set of Hummer beadlocks would be.

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    If your looking for a beadlock in 16.5 why not run Hummer wheels. They are double beadlock and you can get runflats. They look cool too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand about Hummer wheels (not much)

1. They weigh a TON
    2. They have a weird offset, so you need to spend more time re-welding them
    3. They weigh a TON
    4. They weigh a TON

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Everyone will have a favorite way to do things. Personally, I like being able to run a "normal" looking wheel and being able to beadlock it from the inside. I'm currently running a cheapy steel wheel now, but there's nothing stopping me from switching to a nice forged, lightweight aluminum wheel later on, and taking my beadlocks with me.

BTW -&gt; http://www.tireloc.com/

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but there's nothing stopping me from switching to a nice forged, lightweight aluminum wheel later on, and taking my beadlocks with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I alwasy wondered this, if you switch wheels, wouldn't you have to unk the old ones beacus of the hole? Or would you put a bolt through it?

13. Greg72

I suppose all it would take is a small coupon of metal on the inside of the rim, then a plug-weld from the outside to fuse it all back together. We're only talking about a 9/16" hole (or something like that) so I wouldn't worry about strength really......just an annoying air leak if it didn't seal completely.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah I was thinking mainly because Spickler was talking about those in a cafe in Denver with me once and and he has some pretty spendy aluminum wheels

15. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

The hummer beadlocks weigh only 42lbs. Thats maybe 15lbs more than a steel one. By the time you add your lock who knows what it will be. Not a big deal. The welding would be easier because it doesnt need to be air tight. I like hummers. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    I like hummers....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't we all, but hey buddy this is a family site! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BTW -&gt; The TireLoc is nothing more than a Kevlar insert and an innertube. There's no way I'll believe that any other beadlock system can be lighter.......

17. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

at $200 a pop, not including the wheels, somethings gonna be lighter.

YOUR WALLET!!!

18. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    at $200 a pop, not including the wheels, somethings gonna be lighter.

YOUR WALLET!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.....compared to NOT running beadlocks they're expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Compared to any other double-beadlocked solution, I don't know how much of a "premium" you'd pay.... it just seems to me that nothing is "free". Hummer wheels need to be cut and re-welded for a normal offset OR you need to use the dually hubs to get them tucked under. Normal bolt-on beadlocks seem like a LOT of hassle (I'm remembering Chaz' stories about bolts breaking off every time he drove on the street) not to mention the hassle factor by the local police for running a wheel that's had 4 dozen holes drilled into it.

Sometimes cool stuff costs money.... I wish it weren't true. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I inquired about tireloc , I believe last year and they did not carry for 16.5" at that time. Not sure about now

20. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Compared to any other double-beadlocked solution, I don't know how much of a "premium" you'd pay

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really looking for a double-beadlock. How often is a popped inner bead an issue anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
    Normal bolt-on beadlocks seem like a LOT of hassle (I'm remembering Chaz' stories about bolts breaking off every time he drove on the street)

[/ QUOTE ]

Beadlocks aren't for a street driven truck. If its to the stage that its got beadlocks, its probably not a DD anymore. And why would you need beadlocks on the street anyway? and I'm not talking about driving a couple hours to get to a wheeling spot. I'm talkin about beadlocks on a DD.

[ QUOTE ]
    not to mention the hassle factor by the local police for running a wheel that's had 4 dozen holes drilled into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, how many times have you seen a cop hasslin a guy cause he's got beadlocks? Not cause he was drivin like an a$$ and they gave em a hard time cause of the beadlocks to prove a point. Just cause he had beadlocks?

Greg, the tirelocs are a cool solution, but I bought my 16.5 wheels before I know of their drawbacks. Now I am lookin for ideas to get functional beadlocks for minimal $$$. Rockstomper-esque add on beadlocks seem like an economical solution for me. $200 per corner for tirelocs doesn't. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif