Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beadlocks on the street

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jul 25, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anybody been pulled over for running beadlocks on the street? Seems like most cops would have no idea what they are.
    Pete - how bout you?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't think that you average joe blow cop would know the difference either. Dont think that is something they talk about on their morning summary of events.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There's quite a few guys around here that run them - none have ever mentioned being pulled over. I'd guess that the only way you'd ever have a problem would be if you got in an accident involving the tires/wheels. With the number of fake beadlocks on the market, I'm not sure that most cops would be able to tell the difference.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Why aren't they street legal again?? I use to know, but totally forgot. Thanks
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

This cop knows the difference and when split rims become illegal I guess beadlocks will too. They are not illegal in Missouri. Our Motor Vehicle Inspectors stated that they see no problems with them. Just my 2 cents.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

6. CK5

Gee, I wonder how officer Frisbie knows the difference? [​IMG][​IMG]
    By the way, congrats on the cover shot.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

No problems here. When I had them put on a few years ago, they were legal in CO at the time. They are however illegal in Utah. They don't care in Moab, but I've heard reports (of questionable reliability) that the State patrol lookes for them on I-70 around Easter. I talked with the guy that did mine, he said (and I agree) that it's not the greatest idea for a daily driver, but occasional use shouldn't be a problem. I have the old (circle track) style MRT bead locks. Before I got the trailer, I used to drive it ot Moab on the old 35s, then switch them when I got there.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. CK5

Thats what I would do, must have been a little cramped in the back with 4 39.5's in the back with all your gear.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

One time they got a ride on someone else's trailer, last year I had two in the back and two in my buddies S-10 (the guy who stopped by the night you were over). The bed wasn't big enough to lay both of them down, we had to barrel stack them. All the farmers on the road waved at him. He was just pissed that his truck ('99 2wd) had a 97 mph speed limiter, he kept falling behind on the highway.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

this is when it pays to be a woman
    whats is a beadlock and whats the difference ?

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Beadlocks are wheels where the outer rim is replaced with a larger ring that bolts on. These are to prevent the bead of the tire from popping off under strain. They also facilitate easy, at home tire changing.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Thank you pugsly!!! You can't believe all the stuff I'm learning here!!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's what makes this site the best! You can learn just about everything you ever wanted to know from this bunch, and save a bunch of headaches and money while you're at it!

Generic Signature

14. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I don't think most cops know what they are, and they probably would not even mention them, much less ticket you for them unless you (or the cop) were a complete ass.

That's because I'm the devil.

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

"They also facilitate easy, at home tire changing."

Actually, it would take less time to drive to the tire store and wait to have them mounted than it does to mount up the bead locks properly.

Pete

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I should have worded that better - Easier at home tire changing - as compared to standard rims.

Generic Signature

17. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Just as a side note. I have not had any problems with my beadlocks on the street and even the boggers balance out fine. I have driven them on the street for about 2000 miles and have not even had one of the bolts come loose. I am happy with the champions. Steel beadlocks might be a different story.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bead locks are illeagal in Ut. (as stated above). And most of the UHP peaple know the state inspection laws or atleast think they do . So, If someone goes out to Moab, without mudd flapps and their running bead locks. Expect a ticket.

Personaly, If a 200+ mph digger can run them, then why can't a TRUE digger run 'em. Allthow, I think bead locks would loosen up sooner or latter on a daily driver, so maintaing correct bolt torque is manditory! (and that is probably why they are illeagal in Ut.)

Twiztid

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

As a cop, and four wheeler, I know what beadlocks are for. Most cops won't bother you.............however (PAUSE)... some State Troopers have a sweet spot in their soul for that little book entitled "DOT RULES AND REGULATIONS". Troopers especially will tighten your ass up like a rusty bolt if you do not have a DOT # on your bead locks. WHY..... I think I slept through that part at the academy. Sorry

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

20. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I thought you only needed mud flaps (in UT) on a pickup, not a Blazer.

I did actually have a bolt break on the highway last summer. It was right next to one that had been broken off by a rock on the trail. I heard a noise everytime the tire went around (air escaping), pulled over and fixed it.

Drag cars just run screws in the tires, not bead locks. They were originally for circle (dirt) track racing. My wheels have a DOT stamp on them.

Pete