Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beadlocks on the Street

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 27, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I know this question has been asked to death, but I couldnt find anything...

Ive heard its illegal to run beadlocks on the road, why? is there any bad side effect?

With beadlocks you can run 0 psi on the trail?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Ive heard its illegal to run beadlocks on the road, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

wheels are supposed to be DOT 'approved'.. if they arent, they arent supposed to be used on-road.

[ QUOTE ]
    is there any bad side effect?

[/ QUOTE ]

they can leak air and the lil bolts can work their way loose i suppose. high end locks shouldnt have much in the way of air leaks.

[ QUOTE ]
    With beadlocks you can run 0 psi on the trail?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, though i dont see the point in running lower than 5 psi or so.

if u want street legal beadlocs, just get an internal bead lock system. They lock both inner and outter beads, can be used as run flats, and are 100% legal for on-road use.

j

3. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

It's not just that they have to be DOT approved, but unmodified. Hummer wheels, and Staz Works double beadlocks are street legal and DOT approved double beadlocks. But on the other hand, I have yet to read anything that says "beadlock wheels are illegal". So you could get out of a ticket real easy.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

all but 2 styles of real beadlocks are illegal. The two types that aren't are OE Hummer and some new ones (very $$$) that just got previewed in 4wheel & offroad. As far as using them on the street I don't know how they feel or work. I do know the mechanics behind wheel and tire design/application and have assembled 4 different sets of bead locks for some friends.

To trust a beadlock on the street it must have a machined center on it, this is a little groove to hold the tire centered in the wheel. Without this groove getting the tire to mount true will be nearly impossible, as will balanceing it. Also without this groove all of the force of the truck, tire, wheel, driving, and road conditions, will be excerted on the bolts holding the outer ring on, there is ALOT of forces there. With the groove the forces only stress the bolts tension load. This force is created from side loading, and air pressure. Much safer. And checking the ring bolts often, once a week is not too much, will make the usability on the street go up.

You can run your tires at (not recomended) 0 psi but the wheel will quickly eat through the side of the tire, and you can still blow off the inside bead with even with beadlocks (except for the 2 DOT approved styles mentioned above). The proper air pressure on the trail is a trial and error figure. If the tire is wrinkled under the wheel on flat ground it needs more air, beadlocked or not.

As for the Can I get a ticket, it depends. Some cops know what beadlocks are, and some know how to check. Some cops don't know, care or check. You do have to tick an officer off pretty well to get them looking fot DOT numbers on wheels, or anything else.

my .02$ from an Arizona point of view and expierence.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Can't answer for anywhere but Texas, but I have asked the question several time to the DPS and as far as they are concerned "DOT," rules and regulations apply to vehicles tht are Federally regulated and involved in state to state business.

The officers I have asked knew of no reason "legally," that you could not run them on the street. Matter of fact, none of them even knew what beadlocks were.

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    all but 2 styles of real beadlocks are illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. TireLoc and second air are both street legal.. they also lock both inner and outter beads...

AFA actually running other kinds of beadlocks on-road... 99% of cops prolly arent gonna know the deal with them, so I wouldnt worry about it from a gonna-get-busted-by-the-fuzz stand point. I think I'd be MUCH more concerned about what might happen if I got in some kind of accident. Imagine if you were running non DOT beadlocks... got in a wreck (who is at fault aside) and a few peeps got killed. If it becomes known that you were intentionally running a non DOT approved wheel and it was somehow relevant to the accident cause, you can just stand the heck by for a serious amount of lawsuit action. That would be very, very bad times.

I cant afford any kind of locks right now... but when I can, Im going with Second Air. They will be for my offroad tires.. but if I ever HAD to run them on the street they are 100% legal for that use.

j

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

whith the accident senario, not only could you get sued but charges for vehicular manslughter could be brought and would not be hard to porve you guilty buy. Me i would just ahnt to avoid all the potential hassel and safety stuff and just run DOT wheels. Or maybe just mount your trail tires on other beadlocks and just swap wheels and tires at the trail head.

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's the main thing I'm wondering... like I dont want the beadlocks to fail on the road and end up flipping or crashing my truck... i dont care about other people. j/k. But either way, thanks. I might just end up getting 15 or 16 inch wheels.

9. jekbrown

or get second air....

j

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

....or TireLocs

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I've been looking since BB'03 - any idea who sells Tireloc or SecondAir? I've contacted the US distributor for Tireloc (JD's Offroad something in NY) but no cigar, ahem, response... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you call JD's or just send an email?

I called them last year when I bought mine...wasn't hard at all....????

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I was not aware of any other DOT approved 'locks. I now stand corrected, /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif thanx Jason.
    I was at my shop this afternoon and looked at a couple of new aftermarket wheels we have lying around. To my surprise many steel wheels dont have DOT stamps, some aluminum, either, some have the stamp on the inside so it is immposible to read on the side of the road. The accident lawsuit issue is one I've rolled around in my head. There is a very valid point to it. But on the other hand most lift springs, X-over steering, shackle flips, and the like are not DOT stamped. These items are generally stronger then stock but carry the same lawsuit possibilities. Look at 5-point harnesses and racing seats, much safer than the OE style (basically a padded lawn chair in some new cars) but not considered to be safe in on road applications.
    From a business standpoint: if you build something and have it DOT stamped there is now a liability for all on the road, your customer and the sue happy a-hole that just t-boned him while running a red light, and any one else around. If the product is labeled offroad only and the accident happens on the road the company is less liable because of an intended use clause in most law books. (an offroad only item is not intended for use in street applications)
    I guess I've said enough for now, and thrown my opinion in a couple of times too.

14. jms

E-mail only, got an auto-response. Just trying to get a price.

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If you find anything out let me know...

16. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been looking since BB'03 - any idea who sells Tireloc or SecondAir? I've contacted the US distributor for Tireloc (JD's Offroad something in NY) but no cigar, ahem, response... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

second air is brand new, and if there is a US distributor I havent heard about it. Its no biggie though, have em ship (literally) a set from australia. It will take a while to get here, but it'll be cheaper. Tireloc is around $180/wheel... secondair is closer to $135/wheel. Secondair supposedly is a superior product... they basically looked at tireloc which was already out and made some of their own improvements. No idea if over the long term they will prove to be a better system or not, but there ya have it. I see no reason to buy $500+/rim DOT approved bead locks or to run recentered $pendy hummer rims or any of that poop when second air locks both beads, works as a run flat, and costs a heck of a lot less. Put these on some cheapazz spoke wheels and you could be beadlocked and ready to go for under $700... total! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j

17. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

as was said above if someone wants to sue you because of an accident you will be sued no matter what your wheels say.if you are looking for a dot beadlock wheel you will pay double the price and there is no difference in that wheel it means that the seller spent a lot of money to have it dot approved. I have always ran beadlocks on my trail rigs but they dont see much highway use many of my friends run them on their daily drivers and have never had any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I guess my wheels are dot approved but now they are modified with beadlocks. so does this mean they are still dot ok?

18. jms

Yup, I like the concept of those internal beadlocks, and I just got the 16" rims this summer. I've also decided that I like the MTRs, and that I'll stick w/ the 35's for however long they will last. I'm pleased how well the setup worked in Moab, but in one situation on Rocker Knocker the concern was that my left rear tire was close to coming off the rim. I'd rather not be in that situation again. New rims are out of the question, and I think internal beadlocks would be a good solution for my truck, given that it sees a lot of street miles. Of course, I could stay away from Moab and Pritchett Canyon, but what fun would that be?

19. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i ran mine at 1.5 psi on saterday. no problames, just hard to turn on the asphalt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. i ussually run 4 but i couldnt get the valve core back in. oops. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif