Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beadlocks - street driven

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shiprekd, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

I finally broke my 10blt rear, 4 teeth off of 6 month old yukon 4.88's. So, I'm goin to my local boneyard and pick up a 14bff and the 3/4ton 8 lug stuff I need to convert up front.

My question is, since my pig is a Daily Driver, CAN I run beadlocks on the street w/o problems? Highway speeds (65+)? My concern is that where we wheel at, is almost 2 hours away at highway speeds. in simpler words:

How many of you run beadlocks on your DD's?

I have my eye on the Allied Rock-a-thons "Rock 8" rims in the 15" 3.75 backspacing flavor.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

run hummer beadlocks, you can either get a DRW D60 to run them or have them recentered

3. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

what about the rear do they clear fine? also why not some spacers on the 8 lug 10bolt front?? the reason why im asking is b/c i got offered some H1 wheels today and need to how about goin w/ them on a 3/4 ton 8 lug front

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could make them work with some spacers on the front, i don't know how they clear on a 3/4 front as far as the steering, but i will find out friday when im home and test fit a hummer rim on a eight lug D44

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

single beadlocks will be fine on the street. if the allied's dont come with lock washers or nylock nuts get some
    i ran some mrt's on the back of my k5 for about two weeks 30 mile round trip to school monday to friday on the highway 65-70 mph. i did check them to make sure they were staying snug and they all did and never lose any air in the tires.
    hummers are also a nice option. id get them recentered doesnt cost that much about 65-70$ per new center. places around me charge 35$ per wheel to cut out the old center and weld in the new one with there jig

6. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

The local boys in pa take issue with anything spaced more then a 1/4" for inspections, plus they really salvitate when they see any tread sticking out past the sheetmetal; even if it's only the sidewall. I'm avoiding spacers at all costs :O{ I have 35x12.5x15 TRXUS radials on 15X10 rims now and I get dbl takes when I pass a local trying to make a name for him/her self.

I really appreciate the responses. I'll keep the pinch lok/teflon nuts in mind for sure. I don't even mind laying down a film of RTV just for the extra peace of mind.

I'm concerned about how they hold up with speed, balance, and of course, mileage.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

...you might not wanna do that. We tried to disassemble a set of beadlocks that had RTV on them and we gave up on the outer rings. We didn't NEED to get the outer rings off but we gave 'em hell and they wouldn't budge.

8. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

according to D.o.t....beadlocks are illegal on the street...not sure why. i'm an official inspection station and have their book of do's and don'ts and it says beadlocks are not street legal...it may just be here, but i thought d.o.t. was a federal office...they may not give you grief over it tho....it probally is here because it gives legal vehicle height and i know thats different from state to state..here head lights no higher than 54'' taillights 72'' i mean wtf a rear jacked 4x4? my trucks head lights are taller than what they allow for the tail lights, they don't give me any trouble about it..... i know that law has to be written so some1 can 4by a lumina van with their rear tailights..heheheeh

9. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

well im gettin a killer deal. and like him i blew my pinion gear out and im running around in fwd. ive still got to convert my front to 8 lug im trying to hunt down the caliper brackets now. it sucks having ur daily driver break like this lol. but i got offered $500 for H1 wheels and 36x12.5 wranger tires w/ a 14bolt stuffed with detroit and 5.13s. so i gotta think fast

10. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

mikey - Thanks for the heads up..lol

blazers - I still carry my pa inspection license but I can't for the life of me remember whether Pa has any mention of them in their regulations. I'm going to do some poking around in their dmv regs and see what I find.

My big reason for trying to stay with 15" rims (and still have some sort of bling factor) is that the wife bought the Trxus's and rims 6 months ago as a present. If I sell them this soon with less than 500 miles on them, she'll kill me.. LOL

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Beadlocksa and DOT legality have been talked about on different forums for years........and if you can produce an official document specifically stating that "beadlocks" are illegal you would be the first one to do so.

In any case, some beadlocks ARE DOT approved.

12. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

I've seen threads here although brief, about legalities. My question is for those running them on the street, how they hold up under the daily rigors.

It's one thing to power them up over rocks at a blistering 1 mile an hour. It's a total other situation at 70mph on a lifted rig.

I'm not in the least worried about the local boys pulling me over because of them. I can also go to a yard and pick up 4 rims/tires and throw them on for a state inspection; then go home and put the big guns back on.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

with all the imitations out nowadays, cops arent going to stop you because you are running beadlocks, they probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference. im going to eventually run beadlocks on the street

14. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

i plan to daily drive my truck with H1s...

15. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I run Allied Beadlocks on two of my rigs as their only set of wheels.

I have a TJ that I run 17x8 Allied beadlocks on. I have one of the first sets ever produced. Back before anyone really accepted 17" wheels. I have had them for many years. They work great on the street. The Allied ring centers the tire and seals on the whole bead edge so there is no need for silicone. I have put about 70K on the beadlocks on the TJ as a daily driver/wheeler. They balance up fine, run down the highway at 80mph all day long with no issues. I had a 25 mile commute (one way) that I drove the TJ on everyday with them. (Jeep had 35s and 37s on the beadlocks) Tires NEVER lost air, NEVER lost bolts, I NEVER had to go back and tighen them. Just put them together and drive it like any other wheel.

I also have a set of the 17x8 Allied beadlocks on my 3/4T truck with 37s. They run down the highway just fine.

The ONLY issue I have run across with them is getting shops to balance them. Most places won't touch them if you drive them in there. You may need to take them off and take them in or run airsoft beads or similar.

16. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have trailready on mine and they SUCK.I drive to and from the trail and they always break bolts.I carry a 5 lbs bag of bolts and nut in my toolbox(no kidding I can get you a pic)and always have to change two or three.I had only had them two weeks before we went to the dixie run at tellico and one on the welds on the inner ring broke loose while I was going down the road.I sent it back they fixed it for free,but they booger welded it so bad it bad I had file down slag to get the nut to lay flat.I would never buy another set and would discourage anybody else form doing so.And before anybody says i overtightened them I used A 1/4 inch ratchet and a boxend wrench,so how much torque can I put on with that.

17. mikey_d05

Yeah, don't buy trailreadys. Search pirate for recent threads about 'em if you need convincing.

18. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I ride with a guy who has a set on a X-terra with 1-ton's and he never has problems.I dont know if it is because mine are 16.5's and his are 16's are what.Of all the stuff I have bought,and I have bought quite a bit,I am disappointed with them the most.They make them out to be the best,but I could have saved quite a bit by buying "less" than the best.

19. mikey_d05

There have been numerous threads on pirate, from a wheel that got shipped with badly boogered welds holding the center to the shell, to a guy that unloaded his jeep from the trailer, ran one easy trail, and the shell fractured and broke about half of the rim out. Both not fixed by TR. The direct quote from the man in charge basically stated that the company was too big to be bothered with fixing defects.

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

hmm im just going to run the h1 bead locks.. cheap, proven, dual bead locks

not that i am to worried on the legal part.. seems alot of people think they are such a pain, hell, count how many times you actually blow a bead on a truck you daily drive as well..heck you still will have only one side of the wheel bead locked anyways with most wheels...