Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beadlocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Jan 20, 2004.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

What are the best bead locks for the best price? Also, are any bead locks street legal? Thanks.

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I think I’m going with the Allied rims. They peddle them out of Discount Tire and they quoted me $714 for a set of 15x10 modular style. The Eatons are about the cheapest I found but I’m kinda liking Allied’s 32 bolts on the ring vs. Eaton’s 16. There are better beadlocks out there but I’d have to win the Lotto to be able to afford them.

As for them being legal I can’t say for sure. I’ve seen beadlocks advertised as “not DOT approved” but I haven’t seen any hard core proof that they aren’t. Guess I’ll see what my state has to say about mine when I try to get my truck inspected. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There are street legal locks, but they are REALLY expensive. I will probably get my locks from www.bluetorchfab.com or run some rockstomper kits. Bluetorch wants $150 a rim for 8 lug 15x10s.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Rockstomper has the best price I've seen. You just have to weld them to your own rim. Looks like you have the facilities to handle that though.

Those are the ones I will most likely get this summer.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: Beadlocks? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Tweetysuarus

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Trail Ready are the only beadlock wheels that I know of that are DOT approved.
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Trailready beadlocks are NOT DOT approved..

Straight from their site:
    "TrailReady Bead lock Wheels are not DOT approved and are intended for Off-Highway Use."

Hutchinson makes DOT legal beadlocks and they are the makers of Hummer beadlocks. Also, Goudy just came out with a DOT legal beadlock. Check with Champion too.. I think theres might be also...

7. Tweetysuarus

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Trail Ready are the only beadlock wheels that I know of that are DOT approved.
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Trailready beadlocks are NOT DOT approved..

Straight from their site:
    "TrailReady Bead lock Wheels are not DOT approved and are intended for Off-Highway Use."

Hutchinson makes DOT legal beadlocks and they are the makers of Hummer beadlocks. Also, Gaudy just came out with a DOT legal beadlock. Check with Champion too.. I think theres might be also...

[/ QUOTE ]
    My bad, I apologise for the misinformation! I know that there are few and far between that are DOT approved.
    Sorry!
    Bill

8. Emmettology 101

No biggie to me. Just corrected it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There are street legal locks, but they are REALLY expensive. I will probably get my locks from www.bluetorchfab.com or run some rockstomper kits. Bluetorch wants $150 a rim for 8 lug 15x10s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the ones from Bluetorch complete, or are they weld on kits like the rockstompers? $150 is a really good price, and I looked, and they look like they are complete. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

Well acually it's good to know as when I convert to D60 & 14FF, I want Beadlocks for my Trail tires that are street legal. Trail tire are gonna be 42-44's street tires on standard rims 40's!
    Bill

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

cybrfire can burn ya some custom ones too. only sreet legal ones I have seen are the aluminum ones off the blazdr in the great adventure (the brand is excaping me right now)
    hre shot of mine from Cybrfire. Nice /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif work man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Just because a rim doesn't have a DOT "approval" does not mean it is not "legal".

I like the Rockstomper or Cyberfire setups. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I had mine burned out and installed nutserts and countersunk the socket head screws. Nice thing about the DIY kits mentioned here, the rim is still "DOT Approved" as it was when you started. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Second cool thing is if you damage the beadock ring or have sealing issues on the trail, you can pop the bead back onto its original bead surface and drive home.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did this site ever come to the conclusion as to WHY or WHAT LAW makes beadlocks not DOT approved?

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i remember reading somewhere that it costs alot of money to get the DOT to test a wheel so alot of places don't do it. i also think it might be that they can be hard to balance.

16. Emmettology 101

Another company for beadlocks is Tireloc. Greg72 is running them. And you dont have to buy new rims!!! Just the inserts...

17. Emmettology 101

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have done quite a bit of research on this and it seems to me that the only reason they say "Not DOT approved" is because they simply have not undergone the testing that is required for DOT approval. No where that I have looked or anything that I have read says anything about a non DOT approved wheel being illegal for street usage. One thing I will say though, If you plan to run beadlocks on the street you need to be extremely diligent in making sure that the bolts stay tight. Most beadlocks will have to be tightened every time you drive it for a while. Eventually the Rings will take a set and then it isn't so bad. YOU STILL HAVE TO CHECK THEM! I just wanted to stress that. If you want some from me send me a pm or something and we can figure out what you are looking for.

Here's a pic of mine

[​IMG]

55willy, thanks for the compliments. I hope you are as happy with them as I am.

19. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

I used Bart 15x14's. They originally came with 16 5/16 bolts. I upgraded the rears to 16 3/8 bolts and the fronts to 32 3/8 bolts. I do not suspect I'll have any further problems with the bolts breaking. Dollar for dollar, this is the best option. I drilled the extra holes, knocked out the 16 nut-certs, replaced the 5/16" with 3/8 bolts, added 2 flat washers and a lock washer in the course of a bit more than an hour. Here's a pic.

http://www3.telus.net/public/mhepburn/P1110057.JPG

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i like these <a href="www.stazworks.com" target="_blank">stazworks</a> they are a little pricy thought a 200 each.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I think those are double beadlocks like a Hummer rim.