Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beads on the new 17", etc rims? instead of grinding calipers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dremu, May 10, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Beads on the new 17\", etc rims? instead of grinding calipers?

OK, so many of y'all are /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif away on your D60 calipers to fit 15" rims over them.

I seem to recall that the 16" rims have less of a lip than the 15" ... or maybe it's the 16.5"s, I forget, so they pop a bead quicker, which is why y'all prefer the 15" rims.

Question is, do any of these new 17" rims (or large sizes) have a decent lip, enough to keep the bead on, without going to beadlocks, and without resorting to /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif the calipers?

I'm just /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif ahead to the day I spring for a D60... but if I gotta get new wheels for 8 lug anyway, I figger I should plan ahead.

-- A

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Beads on the new 17\", etc rims? instead of grinding calipers?

All .5 sizes have no safety bead.

All whole sizes have a safety bead.

I don't see why you wouldn't /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif anyway. The best and cheapest tires are 15"ers.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Get the 17's. More and more manufacturer's are going to that size to clear the bigger brakes on the new trucks. The Dezert race trucks have been using 17's for years too with no problems. The next set of wheels and tires I buy will be 17's for sure.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Wayull, hate to have to do it every time I buy calipers... not expecting to do so frequently, but I wanted to explore the options. There does seem to be a trend towards larger wheels lately... granted with an increased bling factor and I just want a boring freakin' 17" wagon wheel. I'm not opposed to throwing $$ at a problem (ie paying not to grind the calipers) but I won't pay for some pimp-ass shiny wheels /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run the 16in rims and have never lost a bead even aired down to about 6psi and i didn't have to grind them to fit on the dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have 16's and have aired down with out any problems. The one problem I do have, though, is not enough tire choices on 16's. I plan to go to 17's when I need new tires, I have been seeing a lot more choices coming out for 17's lately.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I can tell you this, all whole sizes have a good bead. 1/2 sizes don't. Also tires will be moving further away from 15 and 16" dia's. VERY quickly. When I go 8 lug, I'm going to step up to 17" wheels. The price is spendy now, bu twill be dropping fast. I have a hook up inside the tire and wheel industry (commercial buyer for a HUGE west coast company) and he told me "17's will be as cheap as 15's within the next coiuple years". Since I won't be able to afford a D60 for awhile, I might just be able to afford 17's by then /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have 17's and they work fine. I will be getting beadlocks in 17" too.