Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bearing axle problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 19, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

84 k10 10 bolts

Ok I felt the front pull bad the other day and thoguh the caliper got stuck bucause when i stoped and hit the gas agin the front right wheel would try to stay locked it let loose or so I though and dident really worry about it to much just though this weekend I would get some greese on the slider but then I started hearing clunking today and it got real bad and some grinding too and it locked up a little I drove it home really slow a freind of mine said his truck dose the same thing when it needs a new bearingI dont know how to change it though and Im hoping I dident mess any thing up driving it home

If it did mess it up what should I look for? And do 10 bolt warn hubs fit on a D44? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Re: barrin axle problem

If it is the bearings, you might hear a rumbling sound. I changed my bearings last night and it is no big deal, just messy. You might want to make sure everything is working properly on the brake caliper on the side that is pulling.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

im almost cirtin its not the brake this thing is LOUD.

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

No big deal then. Just pick up some new bearings - inner and outer. I think I paid around $25 for both bearings for one side. You will want to replace the rear seal on the hub also. This comes out with a large screwdriver and can be tapped in right before you re-install the hub.

It sounds like yours are pretty bad and you will want to replace the bearing races (they come with the bearings). This is not hard, it just takes patience. You will want to pick up a special socket for the retainer nut (These are at most auto parts stores) and also some bearing grease. Get some PB Blaster while you are there if you don't already have some for stubborn bolts & nuts.

Sorry if you already know all of the info above - I just did mine last night, so I'm familiar with the process. I can give you some text on the re-torquing procedure, etc. if you like. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info I know noting about this(never had the chance to play with a axle inside n e ways) any other info would be nice wish some one could walk me though this but oh well BTW will the brake rotor be easy to get to when its all apart? I was thinking of having them cut

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Do you have part #'s?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Wow. Sounds like you have your problem pretty much figured out, but I wante to give you a tip on how to get more response in the future. Learn how to use this stuff, especially the periods and commas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif -

[​IMG] </font color>

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what size socket you need?