Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bearing failure? HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Nov 21, 2002.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

was up everybody. I have a weird noise coming from the front of my truck. It only happens when I have it in 4 wheel drive and have the hubs locked. It starts to vibrate and sound like a bad bearing. However when I unlock the hubs and leave it in 4 wheel drive the noise stops. Does this sound like a wheel bearing or something like a carrier or pinion bearing. Anybody had this problem. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If it only does it in 4 wheel, then there is probably something wrong in the t-case

3. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

when I have the Tcase in 4 wheel drive and the hubs are unlocked it does not make the noise. So woiuldn't that mean its not in the Tcase? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm sorry, I read wrong. You said that it dosen't do it when you have it in 4 wheel with the hubs unlocked, that would mean that it would probably be a problem somewhere in the front axle.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Most likely a steering u-joint in the front axle.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ujoints in the axle shafts or the driveshaft. If you get a vibration under acceleration I would start looking at driveshaft.