Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bearing Preload Question - Working right now

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 10, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I am on the final phase of the D60 ARB install. I did not change the gears. They are 4.56. Everyhting has been working out pretty well. I am able to get the carrier in and out without a seperator. OK...

I have the carrier in, and I measured the final endplay. I got around 0.012". I need to know the desired bearing preload to add to the shim pack. I have not found the recommended carrier bearing preload specs for the D60 in a quick search.

I saw the figure 0.008-0.010" of preload somewhere. I made a shim pack of 0.020" (0.012+0.008), but that does not seem to make it too tight in the case. I cannot get a feeler gauge in there anymore, which means its pretty tight. I gently tapped it into place with a copper hammer, but it did not require any forcing. Should I add more shims or is that good enough? Is that the wrong spec?

Thanks in advance...

2. Guss

Guss Registered Member

you just put new bearings and seals???

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, new everything.

But Im still on the setup bearing right now. The one on the ring gear side. That was a new bearing before I ground it down (broke the old ones getting em off). I took a gear contact reading. Im gonna post em in a new thread in a few minutes...

4. Guss

Guss Registered Member

i set mine to specs 10 x's every thing is good but still have gear howl so be careful. next time in just gonna have it done!!