Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bearing press / puller (for carrier bearings and pinion bearings)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Nov 7, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I've been searching online without luck.
    I don't need big heavy duty ones, just enough to get the job done.
    I'd rather just buy the tools if it is not too expensive vs. paying the shop to press and pull for me.
    -- Mike

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done diff bearings with my $99 Harbor Freight 12-ton hydraulic press. To press them on, I just use a short piece of iron pipe, with a pipe cap on one end for the press to push on. To get them off I had to go rent a big-a$$ Snap-On bearing splitter. I think it had a 5 inch jaw. Smaller ones wouldn't work on the pinion bearing, they would hit the bearing cage before they would grab the inner race. Snap-On gets around $150 for the splitter, so $10 to rent it for the day seemed rather cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I pulled my bearing using a regular 2 jaw puller, gonna have to get them pressed on though. I have pics of the pulling process, i will see about uploading some here in a bit.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've done diff bearings with my $99 Harbor Freight 12-ton hydraulic press.

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched on Harbor Frieght without luck.
    IS yours something like this one: web page ?

It looks like a good deal at $111.00 with free shipping (it's over 100 pounds!)

-- Mike

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Wait, i found the Harbor Frieght one.

Shop Press

It comes with the arbor plates, which I frankly don't know what they're for, but it can't be a bad thing.

-- Mike

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i did mine with a big hammer to get mine off, no j\k. i did that only because im gunna put my ring and pinoin off my 10 bolt on the wall in the garage, as a momento to when i blew the gov-loc in my truck, and when i put the 12 bolt axle under it.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

here are some pics of removing the bearings, this part was pretty easy. Getting them on...well my friend said he could get them done for me for $10, probably will just go that route

pic 1
    pic 2

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Randy's Ring and Pinion sells a puller kit that is made for side bearings and pinion bearings. I think it is about $250 or so. I bought a Snap On puller set for side bearings that was about $200, it is part of their "beam type interchangeable" puller line. The nice thing about the Snap On is that you can keep buying different jaws etc. for different puller jobs in the future. The set from Randy's would be by far the easiest one to use at home on differential parts. Fortunately, we have the bearing separators and a good press here where I work.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mine is the 2nd link you came up with. Order their catalog and you'll start getting a new sale flyer about every other week. They have stuff on sale all the time, including the presses. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The arbor plates are thick chunks of steel with various size and shape notches cut in the 4 edges. You place then on the crossbar to hold the part that you're trying to press something out of, and the notches leave a hole for the part actually being pressed out to pass through. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The press isn't the most-used tool in the garage, but when I really need it, it sure beats driving to a shop and paying $10-20 to have someone else do the job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've used mine for bearings, removing/installing wheel studs, removing/installing A-arm bushings and leaf spring bushings. The only problem with the 12-ton is that the frame is pretty narrow. One of the larger ones, with a wider frame, would make it easier to use. Some parts are too big to sit on the crossbar, so I have to balance them off the edge while trying to setup the press. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

A 2 jaw puller to remove them works good.....To put the new ones on put the diff in the freezer and the bearing in the oven at about 250. Then use a peice of thicker walled pipe the right size and tap them on. They slide on pretty easy after heating the bearings.

Brian
    82 burb
    40" TSL's D60/14FF SM465/np205

12. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

At work I use a air hammer with caution to take the bearings out and to put them I use are snap on press.
    Colin