Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bearing Seal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4dreamer, Sep 7, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Okay, today I went down to Discount to buy all the parts to replace my brake pads, rotors, inner and outer bearings, races and seals. (I'm going to do it right the first time) When to doofus at Discount brought up the parts for the bearing seals, he came up with two. One is about 3 inches across and is green, the other is about 4 inches across and is red. I went ahead and bought them both because I didn't know which ones I needed. Maybe you guys can fill me in before I dig in...or do I need them both? What's the verdict?
    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First of all, We are going to need to know what year your truck is, and what kind of front axle you're using! Next, who makes the seals you're getting? Are you going front and rear, or just front? Let me know and I'll be able to give you a etter response! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. 4x4dreamer

My bad...Okay, it's an 83 Jimmy 10 Bolt Front. The bearing seals (large red) are Switches Incorporated, a divsion of Federal Mogul, the smaller ones are National Federal Mogul...I don't know if that helps. I can give you part numbers if you want.
    Thanks again.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Are they both the same inner diameter? My only suggestion is to use the one that fits! Mine are 3" diameter on the inside and color is relative! Therefor, when you take them apart, just use the one that fits, take the old one out and size it up to the new one and put it all back together! Return the others!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

That's kinda what I figured I'd do, I was just hoping to get ahead of the game. No biggie. Thanks for looking into it. This will put my truck back on the road and I'm very anxious to do that. Next step: Oil change and new filters all the way around, Get the AC working and get my CD player installed.
    Thanks again
    Eric

6. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Inner bearing seal should be 3.25" OD x 2.40" ID. Chicago Rawhide part number 24898.

James