Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bearing --sm465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdm365, Jun 4, 2003.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I am tring to get the bearings out of my sm465 here is pic---- [​IMG] what kind of bearing puller do I need???never done a manual before so no idea on what the puller looks like---I had used a couple of pry bars and they will not move/A pic of the tool or some ideas would help alot. thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Hell, all I've ever used on gearboxes were snap ring pliers, soft face hammer, and brass drifts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Took mine to a tranny shop. Screwed around with it a bit, but it was taking too long/too much effort, tranny shop got them out/off in like 5 minutes. Was just a puller with a lot of reach.

Easier to leave the snap ring in place, then pull it with that.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

My Craftsman gear puller customized

There is some tool called a "clam shell puller" that is the proper tool for this job. Problem is I could never find one! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So I took a Craftsman puller that I had (pictured above) around, and shaved the claws to fit behind the snap rings in those bearings you have pictured.

You of course have to pull the snap ring off the lower shaft (on the outside), and pull the retaining nut/ring/thingy off the top shaft. Its a real fun deal... but the best news is, you are almost there!

Check out all my pics from the 465 rebuildHERE!

Also, I think m_j has a 465 rebuild spec somewhere.... but I can't find it on his webshots site now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Dan

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

THat's the same puller I use!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only thing is I made two sets of bars that go from the rod too the claws... The new ones are twice as long so I could pull the gears off the output shaft once it was pulled out! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I used a puller almost exactly like that too. You can usually get the whole input/output shaft assembly to slide front to back a little in the case so that you can get some room behind the snap ring on the OD of the bearing for the jaws to grip. I did not have to modify the puller or use any other parts at all. It does not take a lot to pull the bearings off the shaft. They are not pressed on the shaft or into the case, just a very close tolerance fit.

7. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hell, all I've ever used on gearboxes were snap ring pliers, soft face hammer, and brass drifts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] did that too and no luck!!thanks for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the responce

8. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif dan thanks !!!I cool feed back.I have to replace the mainshaft the spline is worn bad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I found that when I was replacing the adapter seal /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifI will post some pics later /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif mike

9. Miller

Miller Registered Member

krazie, who makes that flywheels and what clutch are you running?

Ive turned mine twice and put ring gear on it ounce, next time its ready to be tossed aside for something new and better