Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beater info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Apr 10, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm looking at a beater for daily driver duties. Anyone know anything about Mercury Sable's or Ford Taurus's? I'm looking at an 89 Sable, 3.8 L V-6 auto etc etc. Anything I should know or look out for?

K5 related...I'm parking tRusty for a few months so I can take care of a few issues without rushing or throwing money at it unnecessarily./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rene

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

tranny

:nuke:

3. tRustyK5

10-4 zakk, sure ran sweet though.

Rene

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My stepdad had one back in the early 90's. He traded it in with over 200k on it and no major problems ever. (I think the biggest thing he replaced was the alt)

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IIRC, my buddy has a 90 with the V6. his tranny (AOD) has been problematic. It's on its thrid, but me and my Crew are notoriously hard on transmissions.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you do get that car I can get you a parts car for it cheap... Just rolled last weekend but drive train items are still good shape (all glass and body panels have problems now).

7. tRustyK5

This one has 95,000 on the clock...I may still go drive it. I'll be paying close attention to the tranny.

Rene

8. tRustyK5

How's the tranny?/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm kidding, I'm not gonna buy another 'project' I need to wrench on.

Rene

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

We have a fleet of them at work and all do very well but at 100000 (that is abought 5 years) they get sold company policy but ther heck on the front tires I bet they don’t get rotated often Ford Taurus's looks like a good pick to me and my dad has caveler got 150000 on both of his a gave them to my brother and got beet on it went to 170000 and trashed
    stay a away from dodge bad luck for me trany problems /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had an 87 Taurus, traded it in when I was told it needed it Third tranny. P.O. replaced it once (not sure of mileage), I replaced the second one at 120K, and that was on it's way out at 160K.

Tranny's and rebuilds aren't cheap on those either.

I'm not saying don't buy it (any used car can have issues), but I would definitely find out the condition of the tranny and maintenance history. You never know, some group of cars have parts that go all the time, yet you will get one (same make, model, year, etc. etc) that goes 300K with no maintenance issues......you just never know.

EDIT:

It was a good car, actually towed a small utility trailer with it (probably didn't help tranny), and it was a comfortable ride (mileage wasn't bad either).

11. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Iv made goo gobs O money off of AXOD trannys.They were known for planetary failure and planet lube circut failure and a few other little things.If its got 93k I would say the tranny has been done (at least once /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )already or someone got lucky /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Trannies, motor mounts and on some A/C lines. As for engine wise the 3.8 is a good motor and runs great. The only real problems with them I have seen is blown head gaskets. The head gaskets arent all that strong on them, and the first time you overheat it, it will blow a head gasket. But that is more of a concern here in AZ though with the heat.

Dan

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My Aunt owns a '89 Taurus Wagon(original owner) and I believe it has gone through at least 4 trannies...

14. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

I have a 87 Taurus LX in the garage right now... and that's where it stays until I get my truck up to par enough to run it over out in the street /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I highly don't reccomend them due to a terrible tranny design (mine's gone)and like desert dueler said motor mounts (they're also gone). if you like to drive cars hard, it's not for you, trust me /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Afterall, it IS a ford... what do you expect???

at least they circled the problem.

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i got a 92 cav with 2.2L and 3 speed auto and i got 202,000 on it before engine locked on freeway one day, it was only 6 years old at the time, hehehe ran like brand new til it died :P
    2.2L seems to be good lil motor and i just found out some late s-10s started getting the engine, wierd..

the old 2.5L always seemed to be problematic engines especially with higher mileage

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

3.8 = Blown Head Gasket get one with the 3.0 and your set /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. tRustyK5

Too late...LOL

3.8, no blown head gasket (yet...) and the tranny seems to work OK. It only has to last a few months...and it was cheap. If something big goes I should still be able to make money by parting it out. The body and interior are both perfect, great paint still, and everything works except for the heater. Hell, it's even got good tires on it/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rene

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look for a Chevy Beretta. Can be had cheap, good gas milage, I've had 2 of them and never a major problem. Looks cooler then a Mercury Sable or Ford Taurus, and are even fun to drive.

19. tRustyK5

Paul, please re-read my last reply...it's just above your reply. I don't need two beaters... LOL

At any rate I couldn't find a decent GM for the money I had to spend.

Rene

20. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get a beater that is a 5-speed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif