Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beating my head agaisnt the wall

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jemaddux, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Jemaddux

Jemaddux Registered Member

Any ideas anyone???? I have a 79 blazer with a 350. I just rebuilt the engine, EVERYTHING in the engine is new. Now, the engine fires up with no problem at all and idles just fine. Hit the gas at a stand still and the engine runs great, powers right up with no problems. The vaccuum is is great, spark is great. My problem is as soon as I put is in gear and put a load it has no balls at all. I get nothing put a really rough engine running with a lot of spuddering and no power. The only part not new in the engine area is the carb. Can this be the problem or should I be looking for something else? I would think that at idle that it would run rough if it was a valve problem put I am not sure at this point. Anyone have any ideas here??????

James :confused:

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

could be an ignition problem. When a load is placed on it the ignition could be breaking down.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup!!

I agree,it could be ignition--weak spark will snuff out under a load..

I had borrowed my dads Chevelle wagon years ago--got 15 miles away,and I stopped for a soda..got back in,it started fine,ran perfect!--but the minite I shifted into drive and tried to give it any throttle,it would sputter and stall!--put it back in park,it started and ran perfect again!--but I could not drive it out of the parking lot!...Luckily I was near a parts store about 1/4 mile away--I bought a new distributor rotor,when I looked at the original one it looked like a dime store cheapie,and had carbon tracks all over it(this car had points!)...bought a new rotor,put it in,and it not only fixed it,my dad said the car never had that much power since he bought it!.. :laugh:

It could be a weak coil,module failing if its HEI,or low voltage to the pink wire at the HEI distributor..if you added HEI to an old truck that had points,you need a 12 gauge hot wire to the fuse box with power only when the key is "ON"...if you use the OEM coil wire,its a resistor wire that only has about 9 volts at reduced amperage--and HEI will only start and run at idle and no-load with that kind of voltage..

Might see if your EGR valve is hooked up right too(if you even have one!)--if the wrong vacuum hoses are connected to it,it will open at the wrong time,and could stall the motor out..

Check the fuel pump pressure and volume too--it might be getting only enough fuel to idle at no load due to a bad fuel pump,clogged filter,or a stuck float..good luck--sometimes rebuilding the engine is the EASY part...getting all the bugs out can be more difficult!.. :crazy:

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Did you check the timing? Should be 8* BTDC
    -Harrison

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

as stupid as it sounds, have you installed the plug wires in the correct spot?

i had mismarked the wires on my dodge when i installed the originally, when i went to swap new wires in i forgot, i had 2 cyls swapped and it idled fine, as soon as i put it in gear it would shake and vibrate and run rough.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I going with timing chain or distributor off by a tooth, just my guess

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had a similar problem with a samurai it ending up being the fuel pump plenty of pressure volume when idleing but didn't mantain the pressure and volume under load, took a while for me to figure this one out

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't rule out a bad power brake booster. While idling in park i have seen where they don't leak vacuum but once you step on the brake pedal and drop it in gear they leak like hell. Just a suggestion, but one that shouldn't be overlooked.