Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Do I need to special order these, or can I get them at a Hardware store or Auto Zone?

Its for a 79 SWB fleet side bed, the 8 bolts that go through the bed into the frame.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They do sell the correct bolts through truck restoration places like Brothers,Cheyenne Truck Parts,etc,--but I use carriage head bolts,look for some good ones that are grade 5 or 8--the cheesy grade 2 ones at your local hardware store arent really that strong,although they will work,I like having a good grade bolt if your using the truck to pull a slide in camper or a fifth wheel trailer--I've found good ones at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply in the past--I think they were used for plows on tractors.I also salvaged some nice ones from pallets I was cutting up for firewood that were used to deliver a heavy punch press at a factory.I havent priced the correct factory type bolts,but I wouldnt doubt if they are close to ten bucks apeice.A well stocked hardware store might have grade 5 or 8 carriage head bolts in stock,or could order them for you--they will usually have to order them by the box though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I always use regular hex head bolts (and a flat washer) when putting a bed back on so I don't have to worry about the bolt "spinning" the next time it needs removed, you just need someone in the bed to hold a wrench on the bolt as you tighten the nut from underneath.