Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, Aug 8, 2005.

1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

I just cut the carriage bolts off the bed of my 82 p/u becuase the square holes are rounded out. Whats the best fix for this? I was going to use standard bolts and grind the heads down.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I always use standard bolts in mine, they are much easier to remove later. Standard bolts are what come with a body lift also. I never grind the heads off mine.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should have just ground slots for a flatblade screwdriver into the heads of the carriage bolts. Need a helper to tighten them back up, but it works.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

weld em....

I usually tack weld the head of the OEM bolts to the bed before atempting to remove the nuts,then use a torch to heat the nuts first so they unscrew easier,and dont rip out the square holes out of the bed--then grind the tack weld off to get the bolts out..

I used regular carriage head bolts from a hardware store to put the bed back on--would have preferred OEM,or grade 5 or 8 carriage head bolts,but could not find any long enough locally,and dealers were too costly(8 bucks each,and had to special order them)..our farm supply store had plow bolts that were grade 8's,but were too short!.. :doah: :crazy: