Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bed floor replacement project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUDDY, Oct 5, 2000.

1. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

OK fellas, listen to this. I'm very excited about this project. I will try to get some before and after pictures of this deal to post for ya'll. Anyways, the bed floor of my '72 is very holy, and I don't mean in the biblical sense, and rusty to boot. I'm moving to Buffalo, NY in January, where they salt the roads every so often, when they get a little snow. So, in order for my whole truck to not fall apart within the first 3 months of living there, I'm am diving into the biggest project thusfar on my Blazer: replacing the ENTIRE bedfloor with 14 ga. steel diamond plate and some 12 ga. flat for the corners. While I'm in there I'll also remove most of the stiffening "cross-channels" with a 3"x3"X.125" box tubing to take the place of my bodylift pucks that will double as airtanks. Finally, in the rear, where the tailpan is, the diamond tread will wrap down to the frame and I'll replace the channel that is currently back there with a 5"x5"x.25" box tubing that will also double as an airtank. After I get all of this taken care of I'm going to undercoat it with POR-15 or Zerorust and spray the interior with a tan Perma-tech liner!! I've even got enough stuff leftover to replace my rocker panels and fab up a custom gas tank. I AM STOKED!!!!

Just for those who are interested,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Good luck Buddy! I plan on doing the same to my rear bed as well in the future. Definately get some pics of before, during and after the project. I'll be looking forward to seeing them. I'll be doing mine after many other big projects and plans I already have for it.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds like allot of fun!!
    I would research the bodylift replacement thing you are thinking of. I read somewere that the box tubing or square stock is not a good body lift material. Don't remember were I read it probably on of the mags I get. I would consider useing an actual body lift kit to doit right so your body doesn't seporate or fall off your frame???>>>???
    Just my .02c
    best of luck on your project!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If I understand correctly the box tubing will run most of the width of the floor. If so it will be more than strong enough to support the body safely.
    I also remember reading about box tubing being a bad alternative to a proper body lift, however they were talking about guys using very short lengths of tubing and using them as spacers.

That should be quite a tough set-up when its done. I wonder how much extra weight is going to be on the truck?

Rene

[​IMG]

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

tRusty is right. The box tubing will go tranversely,(across), the bed. I wish I knew how much it all weighed, but I'll tell you that the ride was a little softer and bouncier when I got it all loaded and sticking out of the bed. I already have 1 ton springs so I might have to go with duals shocks or something.

Thanks for the replies, Again I AM STOKED!!!

Buddy

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you going to try and get some POR-15 inside the tubes? Compressed air tends to make a bit of water.
    This was more or less what I was going to do to the floor of my truck until I found a rust free tub.

Good luck

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

It sounds like it will be pretty solid when you get it done - but I dont know how you can get so excited about it because you are talking about major surgery. I wish that I could get excited about bodywork like that. Good Luck - I cant wait to see the results.

8. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I don't know how clean I'll be able to get the inside of the tubes to apply the POR-15, so I'll probably just run some of their marine clean down through there and blow it out with the compressor. Then I can just pour the coating down the tubes also and hope it gets it all covered. This would all just be added insurance, because I'll have drain valves and pop-off valves, as well as water-separator filters before and after the tanks. And I'll probably just leave the drains open and only fill the tanks when I think I'll need the compressor on my truck.

As far as it being bodywork. I personally don't think that it is. It's the bedfloor of my truck, so it supposed to get dinged up, and there will be a spray-in over the top of any ugly welds or seams. My main concern isn't much about the appearance so much as just having a solid floor. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks

buddy

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm,Now I'm just thinking by memory and not looking at my rig but I seem to think you will not beable to run a sigle piece supporting two mounts for ALL the mounts. Like the ones under the radiator and in the back by the bumper and in the middle tward the cab. You got me very curious as to how your gonna make this work??? I would LOVE to see some pics as you do the job![​IMG] so if you can keep us posted on your fab work, K?
    Thanks
    Burt

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Burt,

I'm just replacing the lift pucks that are under the bed with the tubing. I'm also going to fabricate a new gas tank that will fit underneath the 5"x5" tubing that's going in the very back by the tailgate. I'm pretty sure though that I'll never have to mess with this again. I just need to be sure where I want tie downs and seat brackets before I drill holes to install them. When it's done of course.

Buddy

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Be sure to stop over to Rochester after you get up here so I can take a look at it too. I was planning something similar till I realized the rest of the tub was too rotted to even stay on the frame. Good luck.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org