Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed floor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAPTAINK5-CT, Sep 20, 2000.

1. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions for repairing the bed floor. In both corners I have about 6-8" of rot.. I'm looking for some ideas short of ordering whole replacement panels.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Let me geuss, the area at the end of the bed on each side right inline where the tires kick up the mud, snow, etc. I had to hand fabricate mine out of sheet steel. When you cut out the bad area, the cross member under neath will probably be rotted too. J.C. Whitney has a truck bed repair section for pickups that won't work. The pattern is different. They also have a repair half section for the Blazer ($75 per side) but it's pricy for the small section to be replaced.

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Hey Captain, if you're near any self serve wrecking yards, go out there with some snips and cut out the patches you need. You might want to take a hacksaw, hammer and chisel too, just in case.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

4. Eric

Eric Registered Member

I had the same original idea. However when looking under the bed, I found more rust, bad body mounts and rotted metal supports. Look carefully before you start anything. Quick and dirty will get the job done, but to make the rig functional, you may need to get yourself some replacement panels. Just a suggestion. Interested to hear how things turn out for you.

What kind of shape is your rear tailpan in (where it attaches to the tialgate)?

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Eric, you're right. I guess it comes down to where the rot is. Hopefully it's not somewhere where it plays a structural role.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

6. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

iam working on geting those photos of
    my floor and brace replacement...

Stay Tuned