Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Installation/removal a two man job?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Mar 30, 2006.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

am I crazy? Pick and Pull has a half off sale this weekend and I'd like to get a new bed for my 3/4 ton. Am I crazy thinking two people can lift a bed, walk it 3/4 of a mile up to the front, and lift it up onto a truck? Or will I need to rent their stupid hoist? :D

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A Ford bed, maybe.

A Chevy bed? No way in hell. Unless both guys are massively huge body builders or something.

Ask them if you can drive your truck back there and get it. If you still have the old bed on, just flip the new one upside down and c-clamp them together.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, one k5 bed side is like 55 pounds. I imagine an entire, intact bed would be a serious load indeed. I guess with the right 2 guys it might be possible. Wasn't there a guy a few years back who picked up a ff14b at the "anything you can carry for $50" sale at his local pick/pull? If I remember right, the guy removed the drum brakes and grunted/groaned/carried the thing across the "finish line"...

j

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

He should have left the drums on and just rolled it. :D

Or would that work? :thinking: Maybe the pig is too big for that.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nope, the rules of the sale said you had to be able to carry it to the place where you pay. Guys back is prolly still screwed up. lol! Anyone else remember this? Maybe it was over on pirate...

j

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I recall, on Trucks, seeing some sorta hoist/bed support that uses and engine hoist and an 'H' shaped support in the truck bed. I'm trying to find either a link to the product, or something similar, but I couldn't. Probably not cheap, but can definitely be a one man job.

7. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Ive always used straps or chains and made a big X from the pockets. Then put the hoist in the center and it comes off. I would rent one of thier hoist, no sence in hurting yourself for a bed.

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

My freind and I lifted an 8' bed off of my 91 GMC. It was heavy but we were able to lift and carry it off over the back bumper into the garage. I dont think we could have carried it 1/4 mile, maybe if we went 20 feet and rested until we got there. How about making some sort of dolly to put wheels under one end. At least you could pick it up like a wheelbarrow and drag it.

9. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

ask to drive back first but if need be :laugh: dude for the extra 5 bucks or so to rent the motor hoist your back will love ya !!

10. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks for the heads up. I didn't even think about a dolly. The trouble with this place is they have maybe two hoists, and I am pretty sure by the time I get there everybody will have them out pulling half-price motors. So, I'll bring a dolly and two friends and strap it on there, and then we'll just drag it up to the front :-)

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my buddy and I pulled the long bed off my SRW crewcab and Im far from a big body builder dude. it wasn't easy though let me tell ya.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My dad and I moved mine about 20 feet...that was more then enough for me, course i was about 110 lbs and scrawny as all get out back then

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

73-87 beds are even heavier than 88-98.

14. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

When I took the bed off my truck I had 3 of my buddies over and it was a whole lot easier:D

P7210320.JPG

15. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hijack on: Steve, your yard looks great! I love what you have done! Hijack off.

as for the bed, good luck.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I swapped one out in the yard. Just pulled up close to the donor bed, pulled the last 2 bolts holding the old bed, and flipped it off. I then unbolted the new bed. Used 2 2X4s to span tween the 2 chassis, and slid the new bed over. Bolted her down, plugged in the lights, and away i go. This was done when I had a 74 3/4 T Binder.

17. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

72THING and I pulled the bed off a M1008 I used to have by ourselves. Let me tell you, an 8 foot Chevy bed is a handfull for 2 men. You're not gonna want to walk more than 30 feet or so carrying it.

18. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

My dad doesn't seem so happy:haha:

19. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took a short bed off of a truck, loaded it in the back of my truck, and then put it on my truck by myself. I didnt pick up but I was careful enough to not bend it. It took 3 guys to pick up my long bed and carry it off though.

20. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

it works, I did it, used a couple of serp belts i found as handles, also, its best to point the yoke backwards, so it won't dig in