Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Liner as Flooring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kajun_K5, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Kajun_K5

Kajun_K5 Registered Member

I had to remove all the carpet from my K5. Floor still in good shape expect for a couple of small rust spots. My friend recommended looking into getting that spray in bedliner stuff sprayed on my floor. Does anyone have that or know someone with it? How does it last? How does it look?

Why the hell not?
    http://www.geocities.com/daniel_ray_deville/My_Blazer/my_blazer.htm

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have seen a few people with the roll on stuff as flooring. It looks godd and is very durable...

The professional spray in stuff would probably even look and work better!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Here is the problem with the DYI stuff. You can't get it thick enough. I know your frying your ankles with no carpet. BigJBear had his Rhino Lined and layed in extra thick on the floor and on the tranny cover. I have no carpet in my 75 and it will fry you. I recently rode in his truck and it made a BIG difference. It's real nice being able to clean out the truck with a garden hose and a scrub brush [​IMG]

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>

Grim-Reaper

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea I'm actually going to get the ENTIRE inside of my off-road k5 lined. I'm gonna have them put on the floor extra thick.

my k5 is a scottsdale with no headline etc. so when I mean they will cover everything, I mean everything that is not vinyl will be lined (except topper cuz I'm gonna go with the can-back).

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Do you have an idea on how much it is to do the inside of a K5? I was thinking of doing the bed flor and sides up to the bed rails. I dont even know anyone around here that does it.

I rolled the exterior of mine, and it looks and works great but like it was said, you cant get it thick enough. I put 4 coats and it isnt even 1/8th" thick. It ought to be ok on the outside though.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'll let you know what it cost when I get it done. I think they can spray it on quite a bit thicker then you could with a roller.

I would think you could get the inside done for 200-300 if you did all the prep work. that is what I am going to do.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

I think other members have said it has been between $400-$500 to do the inside with you doing all the prep work. It also depends on where you are located and what liner you choose, I think if I had the money I would do Rhinoliner over Line-X, it is thicker and more rubbery, where the Line-X is orugher and seems thinner.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

8. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I'll second the hot feet comment. I did mine in herculiner and I love except for lack of insulation. I been thinking of putting in some type of heat shield on the bottom side the of floors.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Like Grim said I had mine done at Rhino-Liner about three years ago. I don't drive it barefoot anymore, but it is noticably cooler than bare steel floor. Auto trans and no carpet/liner will cook you from the knees down. If you decide to have it done make sure you tell them exactly what you want. The shop forman was honest with me and told me what would be a problem. He said it wouldn't stick to the tailgate and it has pealed slightly around the edge of the tailgate. I had to have them do the front area twice to get it thick enough so the there is a vairation between the front and rear texture. I was pissed about that at first but I'm over it know. It has some age on it and is no longer that noticable. The colors WILL fade if you leave the top off all summer. I used to have some good pics of it on my site by Rockcrawler.com deleted it for some reason, so I don't have a quick link for you. Overall I am pleased with it.
    Here are some tips if you get done: Make sure it is at least a 1/4" thick in the front. If its not it won't keep the heat down. Fix any holes bigger than a pea. Smaller than that just neutralize the rust if it is isolated &amp; the area is not spongy. If it is perforated you will need weld in a patch. Make sure you neutralize any rust before you take it in. Also make sure any new paint is fully cured. Remove all the interior, but reinstall the mounting bolts and have them tape them off. If you have a removable trans tunnel take it off (this is the one change I would have made) and have it done seperatly. A Blazer has a 5' bed and a 5' foot well area, so figgure between a long bed and two short beds for material cost. They may add a little to the labor as well.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I had the entire interior of my Suburban RhinoLined. You can see some pictures at the link below, if you like. Like others have said, make sure that you have them spray it thick. It makes for good heat insulation, and GREAT noise insulation. I had them spray mine a little thinner, as I will still be running carpeting over the coating. This should make for a very quiet and cool interior (I hope [​IMG]).

Other benefits that I have found: As Grim mentioned, easy to hose out your interior. Although I will be installing carpeting, I plan to make it easy to remove for mud wheeling. Also, nothing slides around in the back with the RhinoLining.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

11. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I had the in isde of my blazer LINE-Xed for 600 and love it

it is tuffer then rino but it does not have the same grip that rino does so stuff will slid easyer on LINE-X than on RINO so your stuff might slid around the truck a little more with LINE-X

you can thake a look at mine at my photo alubm at the bottom of my post

I'm Back BACK IN BLACK

<a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson>photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson</a>

12. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Got A Quote Of $650.00 To Spray The Inside Of Mine So The Carpet Stays For Now.. Maybe Later

13. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had mine done a few months ago in West Palm Beach, FL. The owner quoted me $550.00 but afterward said she should have charged me about $750-800. The work involved is extensive. The taping off the windows and preping the surface. I spent two weeks clearing up rust areas, welding in a partial new passenger floorboard and getting rid of all the adhesive used in the bed area for the carpet. I kept the upholstered bed wall linings off and had them rhino line them and it looks awesome. I am not going to replace the linings now and I also have more space back there. I have pics and will post them soon. I have not developed them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think I will get a quote to get the cab floor Rhino'd and put herculiner in the back. It may not match, not a concern of mine, but the heat will stay off and probably cost a lot less also.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

So can/do they mask off some of the interior when they rhino line the insides? I'm lokking to move rear seat up and pull all the carpeting from that line back... basicallt the step down forward would still have carpet and the back would be linned... would this be able to be done w/out gutting the whole interior out? Whaqt did you guys all do exactly in terms of prep ... removing seats and masking wise?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

16. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I just finished rolling on Herculiner on the entier floor of my Blazer on Sunday. The most time consuming part was the prep work. Actually applying the liner is relatively simple and it goes fast. I only used one gallon and I put on 2 thick coats from the firewall to the tailgate. I'm going to put the seats and everything else back in tonight. I haven't really had a chance to test the durability yet but I think it will be fine for my needs.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Mikey, due to the design of the Blazer I think you will be making things worse if you do it this way. Lining the back will cause all the moisture roll into the front where it will be trapped in your remaining carpet. Most floor pan rust problems are in the front (lower) section. If you want carpet in front have it all lined, then put the carpet back in front. The more stuff you leave for them to mask the more it will cost you. The only thing they had to mask on mine that was out of the ordinary were the pedals. No one I talked to in the Atlanta area would even give me a quote with the interior installed. Also, the top had to be off. if you remove the back seat &amp; belts then you are half way done, the front is no harder. You do not need to remove the dash. As far as prep just make sure the floor is solid and all the loose rust is removed. They will mask it with a wire edged tape. When I drove it to the shop I put carb studs in the drivers seat anchor nuts in the floor and set the seat over them. When I got there I just spun off the brass nuts and they set the seat aside. Also, remember to start bolts in all the holes in the floor that you plan to reuse.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. Chaz316

Chaz316 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried the spray in liners offered from paint supply houses? Ive seen a couple of them and they seem pretty durable plus most kits come with the spray gun. I believe cost is around 125 or so for the kit.

73 K5, 350, auto w/factory air....How sweet it is.

19. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I have sprayed in a bedliner called Gator Guard II. I bought it from a paint supply shop. I had spayed it last summer and it seems to be very durable. It definitly reduced the noise from my flowmasters alot. I am pleased with it. I plan on spraying my tire carrier with it soon. I cost 70 bucks a gallon and that is how much it took to do the whole interior from firewall to the tailgate and the sides.

Check out my pictures:
    http://www.geocities.com/jmargtx/index.html

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Thanks bigjbear... I plan to rip the carpet up and POR15 it and then replace the carpet. Also it won't be getting much mosture in there... mostly am sick of the carpet I have being all satined and would like to easily be able to sweep or use a damn rag to clean up.... You did raise an excellent point though... Even how it is now if you planned to hose out the back all the water would go up into the carpet and probably add a less than pleasant aroma to your truck [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>