Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bed liner for interior

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, May 24, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i am trying to decide on what to do for my floor in the cab area....all the insulation and stuff under the carpet was junk becuase i had to tear it all out today....so i`m wondering if there`s a bedliner out there i could use without noticeable increase of heat in the cab....i know it will be alot louder but how loud?

also would it be worth just getting new insualtion and stuff or doing the bedliner with rubber floor mat?.....i`m goin wheelin this weekend so when i`m done with the floor i`m just gonna have to spray some prime on it then just throw the carpet in for now:eek1: :eek1:

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I used herculiner in the cab of my old truck. Not too much heat, definetly not objectionable for us northerners. Road noise isnt that bad. a little increased but not too bad. I liked it so much im gonna do it in my jeep and in my project truck soo enough

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I did the herc on min also. I rolled the floor and sprayed the rest of the interior. Has held up well but prep is the key. Pics in my sig link

The rolled tecture provides tons of traction but will eat the skin right off it you let it.

4. NEK5

ok.....how much does the herc go for?what would be considered good prep?

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Hurculiner. nuff said :waytogo:

beforeliner.jpg

afterliner.jpg

6. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Good prep is to follow the instructions...lol a good wash out and scrub down with a wire wheel was what we did on my brothers truck..worked great so far, three years later.

7. NEK5

with this being my DD does that change anyone opinion on doing it....i think it would look great, and just throw some decent floormats down on it....hmmm...cant decide as always

8. NEK5

cant find them:confused: :confused:

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

its fine if its a dd, my jeep is. no hestitation to do it again and again and again... This isnt that tough of a desicsion. the floors will las longer, look better and easier to clean up... about 100bucks so do it for the kit. You may need to buy the extra quart though to do the whole floor. So for all the materials, sand paper, extra roller (go get a 9" one from a hardware store, youll thanks me later;)) some pain thiner/ stripper (for prep, preferably xylene) id figure 150-175 to do the whole thing and a good weekend to do it right.

10. NEK5

i think i might do it....do they tell you every thing you need to do for prep???...got a link for the kit?

11. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

the kit comes with agreen srcubby pad to "scuff" the interior with. In my pics you could see that my floor was pretty rusted so I used 40 grit to knock off the rust then followed up with 180 grit, with some rustoleum rusty metal primer (along with whatever other primers I had laying around). One word of caution, the hurculiner is very chemical resistant so wear gloves (and a shirt), I didn't and had to wear the stuff for about 10 days. Even mek and polyuerathane (sp) paint thinner from the corrosion facility on my base wouldn't remove it. It's good stuff. and I'm pretty sure it's all that's holding my floors together right now.

12. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I used a herculiner copy from JC Whitney called Vita-Liner and have been really happy. It is a three part process that costs about 90 bucks for the whole kit. Prep is the key. I rough sanded everything I wanted covered and Tack clothed it all to remove any oil. The surface must really be clean.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Watch your local parts store for sale ads... you can get Herculiner 1 gallon kits for $60-80 (as opposed to the MSRP of $100) when they go on sale. Last time I got a gallon, I didn't even really need any... just saw an ad that had it for $59.99 and went for it. lol!

j

14. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

im in the process of doing this too, but from what i gathered it will take about 2 gallons to cover the entire interior of a k5?

*edit*

also have a question about what people used to not covering up the bolt holes for the seats and such

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Do it. I did it with my last truck. It is a bit hotter, a bit louder too. But it is a truck. Bomb proof, and easy to clean.

16. NEK5

alright, ive decided to put the carpet back in...but would it be worth still doing the bedliner under the carpet?

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i did mine last year no complints at all.

yes it would. it will protect it from moisture

18. NEK5

pics?

19. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

The instructions are real clear, It's not hard and you will need the starter kit plus one extra quart.
    Just do it.:D

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Personally i think you making a mistake... Carpet + mud = no fun... Besides if you want to do it under the carpet, just bedline it, then leave it for a few weeks. if you dont like it then throw the carpet back in;)