Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed liner idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Feb 14, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've been kickin' over the idea of covering my yellow k-20 with yellow bedliner I already got an estimate of 900 dollors from the place in town what do you guys think I know it would add weight (not much it won't be as thick as a bedliner is ) but think off the scratch resistance and easy cleanup /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you do rocks and hit good, it may crack, I have seen an entire truck rhino'ed looked kick arse!

3. yellowK20

I don't do rocks with this one any more (12inch lift and 44" swampers ) Was the one you saw really textured ?? They say that they can spray it almost smooth /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Quite a few people have done this. When done right, it looks good. That is what I'm going to do with my truck, only keep the two tone red/gray scheme.

John

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine did this on about the bottom 1/3 of his Ford, and it looks great. Durable, mud washes off fine, I say go for it!

6. yellowK20

I really want to do it I was loking for problems I might run into how well does the mud wash off this stuff easier than paint???? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

too bad yer in NM... The shop my Brother-in-law works at (tow truck driver) has a body shop... the painter soid he would shoot it for $100.00 plus the cost of the liner. I am going to go Yellow also... If you want to road trip it we can probably get a discount on the liner buying in bulk!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. yellowK20

Thank' s for the offer but I'd probaly spend $900 in gas towing it up there . Although You do have some good mud up threre right /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I was gonna do my old Bronco and the Rhino Liner place wanted 1600 for it. I say go for it... I would love to do that to my Jimmy but I think I am just gonna spray it w/ Cat Yellow Equipment Paint.

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I really like a nice shinny coat of paint, but its your desition. I was wondering about how much weight it adds to do a 8ft bed and floors in side a truck if you know

11. yellowK20

That's my other option I can get the paint for $80 and spray it myself But with bedliner you' d never do it again

12. yellowK20

I'm not sure but it can't be that much maybe a hundred pounds if that probaly more like 50-60 pounds I'll lose that much with a fiberglass hood and removing my inner fenderwells /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm going to put that on around the bottom of my truck, it will go up and around the wheel wells on that 1" wide strip. and the truck will be H2 yellow with that black around the bottom....

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But with bedliner you' d never do it again

[/ QUOTE ]

In defense of implement paint, you'd probably only have to repaint once every 15 years or so. And that is if you sprayed it right over dirt. That sh!t wears like iron and sticks like super glue. I dig the 'flat' look of the bedliner though. Mud washes off no problem at all, it's just as easy to clean as any other surface. Looks /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif too.

15. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

We had a guy in the club i'm in do it on a jeep. He got it sprayed yellow and looked kick ass for about 6 months. After a few times in the mud it got stained, and then started to fade from the sun. I would advise not doing it unless you money to spare, and if thats the case send a little this way for poor collge student /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you would only need about 1 gal. and the weight of that is what 10 lbs?

17. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, w/ that equipment/implement paint I am just going to skuff my rig w/ a scotch brite pad and then shoot on a few coats of it. That stuff is pretty hard to kill.
    About the bedliner, I also heard of fading problems if you care about that. I also heard that it is hard to get the dirt out of the cracks in the texture.

18. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I posted this a while back but i will cut and paste it here for ya. Im still loving it!! I usually armorall the hole thing after i wash it and it shines like new!

Here is the old post.....
    .I have gotten a lot of e mails in the past months asking about my Ultimate Lining instead of paint on my truck so I figured I would give some info and give you my opinion on it after almost a year of having it.

Ultimate Lining is just about the same thing as Rhino lining. The founder of Ultimate was partners with Rhino until recently.
    The basic make up of both linings is the same with just subtle differences in the chemical make up. You can also get the lining in just about any color you want!

I intended to use my Blazer for some off roading when I purchased it so when I started the restro process I decided to have it Lined instead of paint after I checked into the price of paint jobs! 2500 bucks was a little steep to pay when I figured it was going to get scratched and dented.

Maybe I should list some good points I have found with using it.

There is a Poly Clear coat over the Liner to protect it from UV rays and fading.

Your body work does not even have to be close to being perfect. This stuff hides everything! I just made sure there were no big ridges in the body filler and that was about it! There were even some dents in the hood that I decided to leave and I would pay you $10 to find them!

It also is a pretty good sound deadener. The doors close with a pretty good thud instead of the typical hollow sound.

This stuff is probably 3/16 of an inch thick. It takes a lot to scratch it! When I was replacing my trans I had the trans and transfer case on it side with the crossmembers still on. well it slipped out of my hands and the hole assembly fell against the side of the truck in to the door and the rear quarter. Well, it pushed the door and the quarter panel in pretty far, but when I pulled it off the truck had not so much as scratch in the liner and no dent at all. Try that with regular paint. I also just got back form the Midwest Spring K5 Thing and the Lining held up great to all the trail riding we did that weekend. Any scratches that were visible rubbed right out with my finger. We went through some pretty heavy brush, I think some other rigs suffered some good scratches.

You never have to wax the stuff, heck you cant! You would never get the wax out of the little nooks.

The mud washes right off.

Hey Lets face it, its different! I get a ton of people who stop me and ask question and want to feel it. That makes you feel pretty good!

I really haven't found anything I don't like about it. The worst things I would have to say about it is that it was a pain getting the locks back in. I also had to do some trimming around the handles and the windshield, but that was my fault because of the bad tape job I did.

So all in all, if you asked me if I would do it again I would have to say ... in a heart beat! It looks great and is very functional! Dont take my word, ask some of the others tthat have seen it!
    Any other quetsion just ask! [​IMG] I did mine Blue

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Remember it WILL fade, even w/ the UV protection. The red on mine is getting close to white.

20. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Its been three years since I did mine and still no fadeing. It does sit outside 24/7.