Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Liner Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 5, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I'm about to bed liner in the back if i cna get everything off... my question is... how good do i need to sand it and such... should i get all the paint off? Like with a metal brush grinder? Or can i just clean it all up with a sander and bed liner over the paint... just get all the dirt and grime and stuff off? Thanks.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would get any loose stuff up and touch up any bare areas with some primer or POR15. Make sure there is no shiney metal showing.....it all needs a good scuff. If the stock paint is stuck down well you should be OK.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah, you DO NOT want to take it to bare metal. Just scuff it up and you'll be fine. If you take it to bare metal, when your bedliner chips, rust will start to take hold under the liner and you'll never know till it's way way too late. Just scuff that junk up and clean it up good with Denatured Alcohol. Have fun! Dont' get anything on you Hootus!

Bryan

4. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

I just did mine not too long ago. I just sanded the surface rust down to the bare metal and then primed it. The rest of the area I just scuffed up with a red scratch pad. One comment though, if you have any seats or hardware bolted down you might want to put some kind of black silicone in the holes before you put the bolts back in. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif