Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed mounted tire carrier

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trailblazr81, Jun 1, 2005.

1. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a Bed mounted tire carrier to hold a spare 35" tire. I wanted the type that holds the tire at like a 45 dgree angle in the center of the bed. They use quick release pins to remove carrier when you want to use the trucks bed for hauling. The only one I have found is over $400!! Has anyone seen these for less. I also found one that requires the removal of the tail gate and connects to trailer hitch but I dont like that type.
    Thanks everyone!! :cool1:

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yes they are expensive... you found one for $400??? that is the cheapest that I have heard of then...

I personally was going to do that.. but since I now have a rollbar have been contemplating bolting an X between my rollbar and mounting a rotor to it and bolt my spare that way... thus my 40" hawg spare would be nice and secure :grin:

p.s. lemme know if ya find a cheaper holder...

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Like this? This is a simple bar that bolts between the roll bar, it is a custom job made by 4x4 Iron, which now make it a collectors item. I liked it when I had it done, but there are a lot of draw backs to having the spare mounted like this, even though it is a lot easier to handle with the soft top on.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Something like this?

Fabtech parts I believe...

And I'm SURE it doesn't cost $400. I had one on order for a while that was about $175 from a different so-cal fab dessert fab shop, but needed the money for something else so I canceled the order. Look for shops that do pre-runner fab or sell parts for pre-runners. They usually have em.

KP

tire_mount.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  5. trailblazr81

Cool, Summit Racing has the Fabtech tire carrier for $165. Says up to 35" tire. I guess if you need to hold something a little bigger you could just make a spacer between the mount and bed. I will just need to fab a quick release so I can do the occasional hauling junk in the bed. :cool1:

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Use hood pins for the quick release ;) You'd still have the pins sticking up through the bed floor, but you would be able to pull 3 pins and pull it out :D

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Gaa. $400? Wow. I built one with scrap metal, couldn't have cost me $20 or $30 in materials. Bolts to the rear seat mounting points. Granted, it's not exactly what you want, but I made it for *my* truck. :haha:

Don't give me any crap about my total inability to cut an actual round circle, as I did it with a sawzall and an angle grinder ... not having a plasma cutter. Yet :D

-- A

tire-carrier-1.jpg

tire-carrier-2.jpg

8. trailblazr81

Uuuhhhh......Dont think that type of mount will work on my K20 pickup. I guess I will first see what I can do with some metal tubing. I have 30 ft. of 1 1/8 inch tubing, a bender and a welder so I can do some damage. :D