Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Replacement?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Truck bed is rotting out in the rear, frame and rest of truck in great shape. Bracket which holds rear tailgate is no more. Unable to open tailgate without loosing it. Looking to replace entire bed. Anyone have suggestions or comments? Where can I get one and how much?

Possible that I could fabricate a rear brace for the tailgate, but dont want to if the rest of the bed is gone in a year.

Thanks.

Eric
    86 K5 Blazer

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I had the same problem you describe. You can replace the complete bedsides with some work. I also wrote an article which is on the main page for a rear brace to replace the rusty hinge mounts. http://coloradok5.com/rustytailgatehinge.htm My bedsides were aftermarket and cost $175 per side complete! You will find out the bedsides just unbolt in most places and have some factory welds in the door jamb and at the C-pillar (where your seat belt attaches). It is a bit cumbersome to get lined up, but well worth it. Do one bedside at a time so you can use your top to check for fitment. CHeck to see if your rear inner wheel wells are rusted and replace if the are. These hold a bulk of the bedside so they must be in good shape. Email me if you have further questions at neilmarietta@toast.net

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

I just finished my restoration and I found that if your bed is rotten it is easier to cut away the old including bodymounts and go to the junk yard and find a newer blazer with a good floor to replace it. M ake sure to overlap and you can either weld it or rivet it together. Bodymounts are expensive so I went to a local retread plant and got the end of the bandag tread design for nothing and they work great.
    Don't replace the rear gate support with anything less than 3'x3' angle welded together to form a square. Take your time and do it right. Another thing is cut those d@mn helper springs off of the gate, they just get in the way. Hope this helps.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with my 88 Jimmy, the whole bed is rotted but the bedsides are in great shape except for the inside where the tailgate latches. Anyone know where to get these inside posts?

Joe
    88 Jimmy

5. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

You can get the posts at www.lmctruck.com, getting some myself here soon.

Tuck