Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed speaker box Question?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 80Jimmy, Jun 6, 2000.

1. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I am plannig on putting six 12's in the back of my 80 GMC Jimmy. I will be needing a box that covers the entire back. Does anyone have ay ideas on how I hould do these. Maybe some pictures? I plan on putting three amps in the middle with plexi glass over them with built in fans for cooling. Any ideas or tricks would be appreciated.

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Build up a floor like I'm planning on doing. Make them fire downwards then you'll still have room for your crap too. Do you compete? If not then why in the world do you want six 12's?!?!?!!!! I'd jus go with a pair or trio of JL 12W3's and they would absolutely pound. =)

3. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

In my experience, subs in a large open vehicle like a Blazer sound best if firing toward the tailgate or at the floor. I had two twelves pointed toward the roof and they didn't sound very good until I slot loaded them towards the gate. Now I have three Lanzar DC 12s pointing towards the gate and they sound great. As for pointing six subs towards the back, I'm not sure how you would do it. Three take up the full width of the truck. You might be able to some sort of an angled box to do it. Or you could build a false floor as well. I am assuming you are talking about using a push-pull setup for the amp fans. Computer fans work well, but a blower fan will blow work better, IMO. Hope this helps.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

4. 80Jimmy

I have a lot of stuff because I can get it really cheap. And Not the cheap stuff either! I have a Pioneer cd player, Kenwood cd changer, Cerwin Vega and Diamond subs, Blaupunkt and MB Quartz mids and highs, Rockford and Pioneer amps, and Phoneix Gold power wire.
    Today I just got a 1/2 inch thick Plexi Glass box w/ two Diamond 12's. The Box is completely plexi glass and the subs face each other and tilt back at 45 degrees.
    I think that I am going to keep the box and then build a boxfor my other subs around it.
    I plan on competing later on but I have to finish my door panels and then re-carpet it first.
    I just finished one panel with two 5 1/4 and one tweet in it. I have two other tweets in my heater vents so that you cant see them. And I need to get two more but I havent decided were to put them.
    I took out the back panels and made new ones out of wood with new carpet. They have 2 6x9's and I am going to put two 6's and two tweets somewere above them.
    Hey bondo, you said something about a push pull setup instead of a computer fan. Whats a push pull setup?
    And what is a blower fan?
    Thanks for the info guys.

5. CrazeeBush

My best guess on the push/pull would be something like this.Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    <- & -> are airflow direction

Fan -> AMP ->Fan
    the left one puches the air across the amp and the right one pulls the hot air away?

That sound right Bondo?

6. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

You got it, Crazee. It pulls in fresh air and pushes out hot air that way. Otherwise you will just be blowing warm air on the amps. 80Jimmy, a blower fan is kind've hard to explain in words, but I'll try. Instead of having a small fan on a motor, it has a cylindrical fan on it that has fins that look like vents around the outside of it. The whole fan/motor assembly is in a casing and all of the air is forced out of a hole in the case. They blow a ton of air.

7. CrazeeBush

So, you could shut the amps up in a box and put fans on each side and blow air across and keep them relatively cool. I likes. I'm a big fan of cool amps.. hehe They tend to last longer that way. BTW, have you seen a recent Crutchfield? Infinity Beta Class D amp for $400 it's rated at 1,000 Watts mono. Class D amps are super clean and efficient at driving subs. =) Not too good for mids and highs, but I'd hate to be in a car with 1,000 Watts dedicated to mids and highs, hehe. Painful.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    &lt;A HREF="http://josh.coloradok5.com&gt;josh.coloradok5.com&lt;/A&gt;

8. CrazeeBush

9. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it keeps the amps nice and cool that way. I'm close to the 1,000 watt mark on my mids and highs. I'm actually at 800 watts with my center channel added in. The subs are soon to be getting somewhere around 1200. I'm running everything at 14.4 volts so that increases my power quite a bit.

10. CrazeeBush

Man, that's incredible! I wish I could hear it. I might be deaf in a couple of minutes, but who cares. lol I bet you have a car alarm with that much crap in there. I've been broken into twice and nothing has been stolen so far. I need an alarm b/c next time I might not be so lucky. The first time they tried to yank the CD player, but I installed that sucker good. Stupid punk neighborhood kids.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

11. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's a loud system. It definitely doesn't get cranked to max very often!! My alarm is by Code Alarm. Shock sensor, starter kill, remote start, remote windows,keyless entry, motion sensor inside that is set to trip if anything moves inside of the truck, even with the top off. Man I love that alarm!! Plus, if they can get my heavily bolted in, 500 pound box out of the back, I'll be impressed.

12. CrazeeBush

Yah, that's sweet. Right now I'm working on painting mine. This body work is whipping my a$$. I'm telling you. I bought a Working and slightly beat up tailgate for $200 yesterday. I've been working on it today, and there is those few spots I just can't get to look right, ya know? Anyway, I figure between my working and beat up gate and the new one I can make a good solid one for mine, and then one good one to sell and get some money back for that $200. If I end up paying $125 for a soild gate I'll feel happy. Man, this forum is dead, we need to get some of these people more into car audio.. =)

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com

13. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've gotta get around and paint mine real soon. I'm just going to bite the bullet and get new quarters, rockers, and gate. Might as well make it look good, right? Can't decide what color yet. I know I want black, but I'm not sure if I want to put the silver on it or just do it all black with some graphics or something. Decisions, decisions!!

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

80 jimmy I made a box for 10 12" subs to fit in the back of my 82 Jimmy...except the back seat must come out. I am going to fill them with the clarions.

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

15. 80Jimmy

How many and what kind o famps to you hve to push that. I Can't put more than six in because of the air space Cerwin Vega's use. But they are 800 watts each and very loud.

16. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am going to be getting 3 rockford fosgate amps i never thought about fans...

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=blue>Burnett</font color=blue>
    cameronburnett@hotmail.com

17. CrazeeBush

Awwww man, c'mon surely you can come up with something besides CV's. They aren't very musical at all, and they just bang out loud bass notes at lower frequency's. Unless you are going SPL, there has to be some other choice that is practical as well. CV's huge huge amounts of airspace. I'll take this opportunity to recommend my fav brand of subs. JL Audio have to be the sweetest subs I've heard for the price. $90 for a 12W0 and $120 for a 12W3. Very nice subs at a reasonable cost. The best sub I've ever heard is Polk's db series, those subs were so accurate, and they are designed for a .85 ft^3 sealed enclosure. =) Just throwing out some options.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com

18. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would like to get JL's, but everyone has them! I here someones system going down the street, I ask them what they have and they all say JL. I like polk, just no one knows there name. I would like to get some ppi's, but they are so freakin expensive....

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

19. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

I use earthquake subs and amps and have for a while now. I havent heard much that can compete with these subs. the only competion they have are Digital Designs subs, which are wicked, but A tad pricey. I have won a few competitions with my 6 earthquake magmas, each getting 700 watts from and 2 earthquake 200dhc digital amplifiers. can find some good deals on this stuff and others on ebay and biddersedge.com. And for mids and highs I am using an Earthquake amp, the 4.3, and I can turn my stereo up all the way and there is absolutely no audible distortion. just my opinion.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

20. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool...what do the subs run? >Like 200? I heard some ppi's that were awesome...make your heart feel weird.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>