Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bed Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blasterD, Apr 20, 2004.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I have 2 trucks. One is a '78 k10 and the other is an 86 K30 C&C. I would like to swap the bed from the 1/2 ton to the 1 ton. Will this bed bolt on, or will I have to fabricate some body mounts. The one ton currently has a utility bed on it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It will bolt right up.

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Cool, I was hoping it would. I'm probably going to make the K30 my DD/tow rig. This will free up my '78 for some hardcore mods. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I put a bed from an '84 on a '76 once and had to cut a new hole in the bed for the gas tank filler 'cuz the tanks were on different sides. Maybe the tank can be moved?

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 2 trucks. One is a '78 k10 and the other is an 86 K30 C&C. I would like to swap the bed from the 1/2 ton to the 1 ton. Will this bed bolt on, or will I have to fabricate some body mounts. The one ton currently has a utility bed on it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One little problem with a C&C truck. They normally dont have the holes drilled for a pickup bed from the factory but you should be able to drill them yourself. Just place the bed and center punch the holes then remove the bed and drill.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Better check the wheel base on that Cab and Chasis 1 ton. I think you'll find it's about 3" longer than the long bed GM pick ups. I saw a guy who put a pick up bed on a C&C and the gap between the bed and cab was about 4" when the rear wheels were centered in the wheel openings of the bed.

Also, if it's got the cab and chasis 14 bolt dually rear end, the inner wheels won't clear the inner wheel well of the bed (both single rear wheel and dually pick up beds).

Check out the wheel base first, I'm pretty sure if it was a cab and chasis model from the factory (not a previous owner pulling off the bed and building a flat bed for it), it's going to differ from your 1/2 ton.

Eric M.