Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner - Front Bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Nov 6, 2005.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I don't have the money or will power to get aftermarket bumpers, so i'm thinking about applying bedliner to my front and rear bumpers.
    Will the bedliner go onto the bumpers and if it does will it make them any stronger?

Also how do I go about mounting D Ring Shackles to my stock bumper?
    Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    You have to scuff up and I suggest primer first. and it will not really add any strength to it, unfortunately.

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I bedlined my front bumper. Just scuff it up really good. I used a combination of 60 grit sandpaper and an abrasive wheel on my drill. And I sanded until it wasn't shiny anymore.

4. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

I know a guy that Line-Xed his Ranchhand front bumper. It did not add any strength, but looked great and bugs did not stick to it.

If you want secure recovery points in the front, you need to attach mounts for D-Rings to the frame, not the stock bumper. That will require some fabrication work, but can be done.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you mean a professionally sprayed liner (Line-X, Rhino etc) it would probably cost about the same as the steel for a real bumper would...

Sure, scuff them first though.

Not in any way relevant to a bumper. Spraying a whole tub would probably make the structure of the tub a bit more rigid... but with something like a bumper it wouldn't make enough of a difference to be relevant.

Don't, unless you want to die young. Stock bumpers are way to flimsy to mount any recovery points too. Atleast... the ones on my 85 were...

j

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Apparently He speaks from experience ^. You have air compressor/hopper? if not get the spray cans at autozone, it holds up ok, just not nearly as good as the real stuff.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is sound advice. The POS bumper will NOT withstand anything more than a light tug. By hand, not another truck. Post up pics if you spray the bumper - I'm interested in what it looks like.