Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner on dash,doorpanels, etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swilson, May 21, 2003.

1. swilson

swilson Registered Member

I just put Black Duplicolor bedliner on my dash, door panels, kick plates, and other assorted interior pieces and parts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm prepping the vehicle to be painted Tan with black highlighting. The dash was a cracked mess and everything was that old sky blue?????? color. Trimmed up the cracks and filled them with a can of instafoam /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Painted it all with a spray can of bedliner. Waiting for it to dry to see how it looks.

Anybody else done a dash like this????

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sounds nice. I was thinking about doing something similar to that to my interior. Do you have any pics? Keep us up to date on how it turns out.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ive done 3 of the 4 fenderwells on my 86 with duplicolor and part of the floor, in fact, its still light out, ill go do some more work,, send pics!

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

How is the Duplicolor holding up? I've heard bad things about it as far as quality goes. Have you had any problems out with it? Thanks for getting the pics!

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It'll probably fall off. I used Duplicolor on some parts of my truck and Plasti-Kote on others. Everywhere I used the Duplicolor it has started falling off or is completely gone (frame). The Plasti-Kote has only fallen off in one spot and I'm 80% certain it came off with a piece of paint (inner wheelwell).

It's only been on there since July of last year.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. The only reason I was thinking about buying the Duplicolor was the price, but I guess the old saying is true. You get what you pay for. Thanks!

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, Wally world has both Duplicolor and Plasti-kote for the same price ($6.96) for a rattle can. The Duplicolor looks far more impressive and is a little softer. However, it doesn't stick for [naughty word], not even to bare metal. I've tried it on "cleaned" rust (scraped and wiped with xylene), roughed up paint, primer, bare metal, and etched metal. You're better off using Rustoleum.

The Plasti-kote stuff is far more brittle appearing. You can't get it smooth; it feels like sandpaper no matter what. However, it's survived in my front wheelwells and on my floor. It's ten times better than the Duplicolor stuff but neither of them can hold a candle to Herculiner.

I'll probably scrape the Duplicolor stuff off this summer and put some Plasti-kote stuff on. It's about as durable as 3M's "Professional" undercoating when used as an undercoating. If I had the money to spare I'd buy Herculiner and brush it on.

Here is a picture of my floor. If you're wondering what the yellow rope is for it's there to push the seal out so I don't get air flowing around my "hecho en mexico" doors.
    http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/misc/interior_03-16-03/interior_driverside.JPG

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up. I really like the looks and functionality of a paint on liner instead of carpet. I think I'm gonna save my pennies and get the hercaliner. I've seen some truck with it and I was impressed. Thanks again!

9. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I use the spray on Duplicolor stuff on lots of things and haven't had any problems with it yet. Make sure the surface is clean though. I used it on seat frames, some of the interior metal trim, door thresholds and even my hardtop. I prefer the spray on because you can get a smooth or rough texture with it depending on how far you hold the can from the surface.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have herculiner from tailgate to fire wall... webshots has pics. I havent done the dash or anything... mainly cause i figure its only a matter of time before I have a bling bling custom dash setup anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif it is nice to be able to hose out the inside tho....

j

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The Hercaliner looks really nice! Thats was planning on doing to my whole floor board for easy cleaning and rust prevention. I already have enough rust as it is!

12. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I used plasti-dip, the stuff you dip your tool handles in. It came in a spray can though I used it on my dash and door panels, worked pretty good. smooth rubber coating basically. I coated my floor with a brush on bedliner, I can't remember the name but its one of the less heard of ones. anyway my floor rusted out from below and in some places the only thing holding it together was the bedliner, good stuff. I'm redoing my floors and I'll probobly use the same stuff once I remember what its called.