Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner on outside of k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, Jul 22, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Thinking of putting bedliner on exterior of k5. I want to put it from center bodyline down on my 80 k5. Was wondering which one you guys recomend durabank,herc.liner etc. Also do I have to sand down the paint or can I put it over. Thanks

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Some of the bedliners fade in the sun (herc for one), so look into that if it will make a difference for you. Most do not require sanding, but good prep work will make the bed liner adhere better, resulting in a better quality job. I would at least clean and rough the surface with a scotch brite pad.

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought durabank made liner just for painting the outside that wouldnt fade but dont know for sure.

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking of doing the same. Durabak has a UV protectant in it,so they say it resists fading.

5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I've got a buddy who's into the heeps. Alot of the guys that run cherokees will paint the lower sections of their bodies with bedliner. I was considering doing the same. If nothing else, I'll paint the inner wheel wells and probably the undercarriage.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just don't put it on anything that you mightwant to weld or anything like the axles. It is PITA to get off to weld and it will chip and lift allowing for rust.

7. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I would suggest Durabak. They make a coating w/out texture. http://http://www.durabakcompany.com/smooth-durabak.htm I am going to use this product when I finish my body work this fall.

There are a few member that have done this, but I can't think of names right now...brainfart!:thinking: