Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner on the dash?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Feb 14, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody have any success putting Herculiner or Durabak on their dash? I know putting bedliner on the dash has been talked about before but I've yet to hear if it actually held up. I don't suspect the Plasti-Kote and definitely not the Dupli-color hold up very well on a dash.

My dash is getting uglier by the day. The number of cracks have doubled since I bought the truck two years ago. I was thinking about filling the cracks with urethane and then cutting the speaker holes out and putting in regular screened guards. Then I'd coat it with Herculiner or Durabak. Durabak is supposed to be a little more UV resistant plus it comes in colors.

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

I did the entire interior, makes it easy to clean out, just make sure you go down to bare metal if ya want it to stick for a long time. I used Herculiner. Did it in red and put a dash mat over it, looks pretty good and is real practical.

3. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Dern good idea feller. I used the Duplicolor liner on my dash cluster but I agree with you in that I don't think it would work well on the dashpad.

Just to make sure the cracks do not come back through the liner {if useing a thin linner like Durabak or Herculiner}, you could alway throw a layer of fiberglass on it after you fill the cracks. Use fleece and resin rather than fiberglass matting or cloth. Once the cured resin is smoothed up well, spray it with texture/rock-guard coating {could also use duplicolor bedliner if you spray it heavy for a smoother finish},,, then paint it.

Just another idea thrown out there. As I said, I really like the bedliner idea

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you think fiberglass would take the abuse of flexing the dash to get it in the truck?

I couldn't think of anything but urethane (the stuff that goes around modern cars' windshields to seal them) that remained flexible yet could take heat and just about any kind of chemical I could throw at it. However, it doesn't paint for beans. That's why I was thinking about using Herculiner or Durabak.

$200 for a new dash is out of my price range. And I think those plastic covers look retarded as well as carpet.

I'd rather paint it if I can because then I wouldn't have the coarse bedliner dash that is a bitch to clean. It's already hard enough to clean with the cracks, I can't imagine trying to wipe it off having a 100 grit sandpaper dash.

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

While I would not guarantee the fiberglass would never crack, I really don't think it would be a problem. I built up a set of kicks in my Mustang and I had to flex them around a bit to get them in and they didn't crack.

As for crack repair,,, how bout useing body filler or flexible parts filler {think of it as bondo for plastic bumpers}? Either would work good but I think that you might be more comfortable with the flexable parts filler.

Check out my pics of the kicks -
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/296918/3