Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner on the Roof

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx_sub, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

The paint on my roof is bad, and dirty. For those of you who have lined the exteriors of your rigs, does it make your interior hotter in the sun? I realize some of it is color dependent. I have a burb and the large surface area to heat up the inside.

Cheers

2. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I dont think it makes it hotter. It may even insulate it a little.Just dont do black thats asking for the heat--Eric

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I'm entertaining black, blue or gray, or any combination of the above. I know that blue can get hot due to its frequency in the light spectrum. I have the light blue, I think its called French Blue. I still want my burb to look good at 20 feet.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do it and post up the results. I have been thinking about doing the same thing.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I did it to my Burb, used black and didn't notice any difference in temperature. It worked out really well, I was climbing on the roof daily with the kayaks and almost slipped off once because of the water. I used the brush on do it yourself, I love the stuff easy, durable and cheap.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

midnitewarya has painted his hole rig with rhinoliner and he said he has regretted it form the day he did it.

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Teh top of my truck has bed liner on it. I didn't do it, and it looks fine, but my guess is it just made the top heavier.

2210274_13_full.jpg

8. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You dont want to line it if you ever think you might be welding on it. My rig is sprayed inside and out with speedliner. I wouldnt do it again. Well maybe the inside but not the outside.

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I did the outside of mine. Didn't seem any hotter, but not long after that I got a soft top which I mostly run with now. I save the hard top for winter ski trips out of town.

The soft top is a heck of a lot hotter than anything you'd put on the hard top.

I like the stuff on the exterior. There are some concessions (it tends to oxidize, even with a UV protectant, and you have to scrub it with a scrub brush to clean it, but it is such a durable surface, I think it makes up for it.

Good point about the welding tho.

10. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

You happen to know what brand it was? This is exactly what I want to do.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Dont get white, my buddy lineX his ramcharger top white and less than a year later it looks puke greenish brown and very ugly. They do fade considerably. No chips or scratches and looks profess except the color fade.

12. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Fireplug, do you have any pics you could share?
    Would an angle grinder, wire wheel and some patience get the liner off if you really needed bare metal?

Skigirl, I like the color you have. You mixed blue, black and red right? How has it faded compared to black, if you have anything to compare to? I just want to do the top, so it won't be seen by anyone other than truckers and other big trucks.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yes, I mixed blue, black and a little red. Interestingly enough, the black hasn't faded hardly at all. The blue fades more than I'd like. The good part is that I can remove most of the oxidation with a scrub brush. Bad news is I can't remove it all (on the blue). So in parts it looks a little lighter than it used to. It's easy enough to do a new coat on it when it exceeds my tolerance level

14. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Did you use the UV additive in the black? And tell me again the brand you used.

Thanks for the response.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I seem to have lost the pics I had, I'll grab some more tomorrow, and post in the evening.

I used a product called Hippo (hmmm where'd they come up with that?), but if I'm not mistaken it is a Canadian product so I don't know if you would be able to find it down there.

It is an incredible product though. $50 bucks or even less, for a p/u bed. And it is very durable, I've used it a lot inside and out and the only scratch I got was from a TH400 bouncing around in the back for a couple of weeks.

Oh and to answer the question about getting it off with a grinder...yeah probably, but it wouldn't be fun. If you are talking about small areas for welding repairs then yes no prob, but to revert to regular paint...YIKES.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

All product was Durabak and all UV version. IIRC they call it (color)-18. 18 indicates the UV version.

17. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

To take the stuff off take a razr make some cuts that are like a strip, peel it up and peel it back slowly.

18. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has Rhino on the roof of the cab only. I bought it from PO like this. I like it alot. It eliminates worrying about the drip rails rusting out... I don't have to be as particular about washing all the way up there...and I think it softens the road noise a bit since I don't use a headliner. It is black, but so is the entire rest of the truck, so I don't know about heat. The Rhino dealer sells stuff to treat and restore color too, if you ever get concerned about it fading.

19. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Here's some pics. Not the best as they were taken at night. The 'dots' you see on the roof are raindrops.

I've used the bedliner inside, the roof, the hood, and on my Blazer I did the mirrors.

Burb Front.jpg

Burb Front ii.jpg

Burb Roofline.jpg

Blazer Mirror.jpg

20. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

That looks nice. I especially like the leading edge of the hood.