Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

ok i am going to do the sprayin bedliner for my truck sometime with in the next month. and i called the places for it to be professionally done and it would be 325$$$ !!!! and thats too rich for my blood.
    so i am gonna use the ones out of a spray can that are bought at adv auto parts for like 7 bucks a can.
    has anyone ever used these?
    any sugestions?
    are there any better ones?
    thanks
    i need it to prevent the rust from rain..... etc.....

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

HERCULINER! I'm going to use it this summer. Granted I'll put the carpet back down so it won't see much abuse but I want the rust prevention too. I've heard nothing but good things about this product. Its about a hundred bucks for a gallon and the kit and another 25 for a quart to finish it off.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. Confederate9

yeah me either, but 100$ is pretty expensive, the guy i talked to did his ram charger w/ the cans from adv auto parts and it took like 7-8 cans = about 55$ and it looks and felt quality.
    what do yall think?

Confederate's w/ K5's!

4. Blazer_Boy

Hmm, I'm not sure cause I've never done it. If you do like me and just put the carpet back on it I don't see any problems. As long as it has a good hold and no open spots the rust shouldnt stand a chance. I'd still go the herculiner cause its heavier stuff. The stuff in the cans has to be thinned to spray out. The herculiner is supposed to have rubber ground in to it and be real texturey (is that even a word). I better step back and let some one who know what they're doing answer this. Just thought I'd let ya know that I'm busting a gut right now cause my cat is flying around in circles now trying to catch its own tail.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

5. KENBARBOUR

KENBARBOUR Registered Member

I used the duplicolor stuff in the spray cans to do my bumpers and tailgate. It's not much thicker than paint. The sun really faded it and i've already scratched it off pretty easily. I bought a gallon ($40) because the $7 cans didn't go far. I might not even use it. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy the Herculiner($100 stuff) It looks like it will work better for my rusty floor

6. Confederate9

i was going to do like 3 layers.
    and it it doesnt work ill go over it w/ herculiner. i think i am going to go w/ the spray cans.
    but, does anyone know the website for herculiner.
    100 is expensive but sounds good.
    will 1 gallon cover just the rear bed area?

Confederate's w/ K5's!

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Its <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.herculiner.com>http://www.herculiner.com</A> They have it at K-Mart also.

74 Blazer
    Ramble On

8. Confederate9

will 1 gallon be enough for jsut the bed area in my blazer?
    looks like its easy to get.
    looking like a better solution, possibly. i might by 1 spray can and test it out.

Confederate's w/ K5's!

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A buddy of mine did the entire inside of a CJ7 tub with a gallon of DuraBak, which is very similar to Herculiner. He went up the sides and everything. That stuff is WAY tougher than anything that you'll buy in a spray can. It goes on thick and dries to a tough, rubbery coating. Oh yeah, don't get DuraBak on your skin or you'll be wearing it for a week or so. [​IMG]

The professional spray-on liners use two liquids, that are mixed in the nozzle just before they spray out. The chemical reaction between them creates an incredibly tough plastic. The stuff in the spray cans is a single liquid so there's no magic that happens when it's applied.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

10. Blazer_Boy

I think a gallon should be enough because it says it will do a six foot pickup bed. If you were to do an eight foot bed they say to buy an additional quart.

11. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

i think Wal-Mart has started carrying this as well. I think I saw a place to get discounted Walmart gift certificates, something like a $50gc for $40, bring down the cost some. I will have to look at my links on my machine at home and I will post it if anyone is interested.

12. Confederate9

i think i have narrowed it down to either using either herculiner or DuraBak
    depending on the prices of durabak. cause i like their dark blue color. to match my truck.
    well im gonna try to check out local prices.
    is walmart where durabak can be bought?

Confederate's w/ K5's!

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never seen Durabak in stores. You can order it online at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nonslipcoating.com>http://www.nonslipcoating.com</A>. Order info is near the bottom of the FAQ page. They have lots of colors available. I think the Herculiner only comes in black. At least that's all I've ever seen in the stores.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think I'm going to return my Herculiner to Pepgirls and order some DuraBak. I called them and they said a gallon of blue will cost 120. the black costs 99 and he said that most of the other colors cost around 120. I saw a truck with herculiner in it and that stuff is rough as hell. It'd be ok if you are going to put carpet over it, but I'm not and that stuff will make you bleed. I've heard that the durabak is more flexible/forgiving to your skin and it comes in other colors other than black/white/red/grey. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.durabakbedliner.com>http://www.durabakbedliner.com</A>

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."

15. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I was watching TNN on tv recently and "Crank and Crome", the old Shadetree Mechs, were showing a couple truck beds with roll-on glow-in-the-dark liners, one was orange or yellow and the other was blue, showing the blue one at night with a motorcycle in the bed, it was bright.

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

16. Confederate9

ok well i have to wait on a paycheck.
    i know i will get 100 but not sure if i will get round 120-130 for the dark blue durabak
    where like a parts store that carries durabak?
    w/ my luck now i dont htink i have ANY rust under my carpet, and when i take it out i will have like a ton. lol!
    OH YEAH ANY TIPS ON TAKIN OUT THE CARPET IN THE BED AREA? I NEED SOME HELP ON THAT.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    K5: Because size DOES matter<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Confederate9 on 02/01/01 03:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's fairly straightforward just unbolt everything(tire mount, back seat, seat belts, sidepanels etc) and unbolt the metal strip back at the tailgate and the molding type thing right where the bed starts. You may have to get a new underpad/insulation depending on the condition of the old one and if you can get it out without screwing it up. The hardest part is the carpet on the wheelwells b/c it's glued on. I used a wirewheel to grind down the glue because it took about a 1/4 of time it would've taken if I had used a paint scraper. Hope this helps

Murphy's Laws on Life :

18. Confederate9

Blazerguy~ that helps me A TON thank you so much. is it hard to unbolt the rear seat. probably pretty striaght forward.
    and all the wire to speakers are able to be disconnected.
    this seems pretty straigh forward all you said.
    so there no store that carries durabak? im gettin the dark blue or black.
    1 more question, is there a certain temperature i should apply this at? as in the out side temperature.
    thanks SO MUCH for the help guys.
    I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

To remove the seat first fold it up and unbolt the thing that slides up and down and locks the seat in place when folded up(for lack of a better term [​IMG]) its by the passenger side wheel well. Then push the seat up so you have access to the two bolts in front of the seat and thats it! As for the speaker wires, on mine there were two wires plugged into the speakers(it's easier to take the speakers out first then take the panels out) and keep the wire out of the way during the installation. I dont know of any stores that carry DuraBak right now. On their site it says to apply it between 32-95 degrees F.

Murphy's Laws on Life :

20. Confederate9

thanks for the help.
    i am gonna order it sometime this week hopefully.
    yall have been a GREAT help.
    any thoughts on if durabak color would fade?

Confederate's w/ K5's!