Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedliner Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cocky, May 23, 2000.

1. cocky

cocky Registered Member

Is there any way to remove a bedliner such as durabak or herculiner? I am curious because i am thinking about doing this to one of my vehicles but got to thinking about what i would do if i ever needed to take the bedliner off. What if your bed started rusting from underneath or if you just wanted to change the color of the inside of your vehicle? This stuff would be a major pain in the butt. Just curious if any of you have ever thought of this.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I would either think that you would need the Zylene for the Herculiner, LOTS of hot-putty knife work or ditch the body. I my self have thought about it, but have decided to wait to find out the same information you are seeking. I guess I'd be prepared to junk the body. As far as chaning the color, Herculiner only comes in black. But I guess you could paint it or something if you needed.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

With Durabak, Xylene would not work anymore once it is dry. But Just from looks of it alone, I would say, you can remove it with a screw driver or something. Just get down, and dig into it. Then start peeling. Once it peels, it peels, it will take the paint off underneath too. You'll most likely be down to bare metal. This method will take a while, but if you wanted to do it, that's the way.
    Boss

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

what about a grinder or sander.....again...it'd take a while but i think it'd work.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

boss has it right. we tried the others, but the scraping worked the best.

walrus101

goo goo gaju