Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bedside removal/replacement?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Jul 9, 2005.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So who has done this? vtblazer?
    anyone got pictures of removal and replacement of blazer bedsides?
    i guess i need to grind the factory tack welds at the door post (b piller) and maybe back by the tailgate.. and the inner wheelwell..
    then just pry it and off the inner bedside or what? any tips from some guys with experience on this??? i'd appriciate it.
    I picked up some pretty straight and decent bedsides for my blazer tonight. Found em on craigslist and paid under $200 for both bedsides. :pimp1: They need some body work since they have some dents here and there but i'll just say they are much straighter than whats on my truck.
    So i want to seperate the outer bedside from the inner bedside as clean as possible on these donors and then eventually cut the ones of my truck and graft on the new straight donor quarter panels.
    The bedsides match my clean straight and rust free front clip and windshield frame i have in my backyard..

See guys, don't worry.. even though my blazer has been getting kinda smashed up, it will still make a comeback from the dark side. :rotfl: I've been collecting first gen body panels. :o Just when it looked like it was headed towards a beater.. It will be cherry again someday.
    Then i'm quitting hardcore wheeling- cold turkey. I swear. :haha:

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Blazer Bedsides

The only welds that need grinding are at the rear bed post, where it meets the bed floor and some spot welds behind the outer rockers.
    Otherwise, it's all just nuts/bolts. Some are hard to reach/find but that's it.

Are your new bedsides intact? Meaning is the inner still attached?
    If so, leave em alone, it's a bear to separate from what I hear.

DCP_3053blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3081blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3082blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3122blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3153blazerproject.jpg

3. vtblazer

No need to remove the wheel housing, just what bolts to the quarter.

It took several hours to install the new quarter and get everything lined up and tightened.

DCP_3130blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3155blazerproject.jpg

DCP_3161blazerproject.jpg

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thank you sir!
    I started working on pulling it apart from the bed floor today. I started by unbolting where the wheel well bolts to the bedside, then starting finding more and more bolts to unbolt towards the front and rear.. I never realized they almost bolt on and off like that with minimal tack weld grinding.

So the outer rockers need to be removed to get access to the couple of spot welds for the bedside?

5. vtblazer

Yeah, the welds are below where the rocker arcs up to meet the rear pillar.
    Couple pics of the area in question.

1st pic is what the quarter pillar is spot welded to.
    In the 2nd pic you can see the holes in the lower portion of the pillar, those are the drilled out spots welds.

Have fun! :wink1:

DCP_3124blazerprojectrpillar.jpg

DCP_3131blazerprojectpillar.jpg

DCP_3144blazerprojectpillar.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005