Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beeees

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, May 24, 2005.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

This past weekend I was in the backyard painting and kept getting attacked by what I thought was a bumblebee. :(

After further research I found that the little sucka is not a bumblebee, but a carpenter bee which I guess are not good to have around the house.

Anyone have any experience with getting rid of carpenter bees. I read that just killing the mama and daddy bee is not good enough because they burrow into the wood to make their nests. These guys have taken up residence in the crack between the rain gutter and eves of my patio :doah:

Ideas?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I assume you'd need some sort of liquid spray to get in there

Maybe you can poison some foamo fill and plug em up

...or take the canadian backwoods approach and shotgun them to death

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Carpenter bees

when their not looking,,, take away their drills and saws :D

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

1. If you are not allergic to bee stings. Do it yourself, dress in jeans, leather gloves, longsleeve shirt, and head/face protection if available. Spray Raid or some other aerosol bee/wasp killer in there, empty the whole can.

2. Call a pro to smoke them out.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bees suck--hornets and wasps suck even more!

I had a swarm of those carpenter bees take up residence in the shed I had out back--they LOVE rough cut pine boards from a sawmill--I watched in amazement as one bored a 1/2 inch hole thru a 1 inch thick board almost as fast as I could have with a drill! :eek1: --I got a can of Raid Wasp and Hornet Killer and doused all the holes and the surrounding area(all I had for "bug spray" at the time)..it killed a lot of them,next day I saw about 30 dead ones on the ground--havent seen any more yet--they did a number on the boards though! look like swiss cheese now..:mad:

The absolute worst things to have in your yard is Wasps!-(next to skunks that is..)-I have a 12' "reefer" body off a delivery truck used as a shed for my riding mower--the damm Yellow Jackets,and Bald Faced Hornets have dug the foam insulation out from between the walls,and replaced it with a huge "honeycomb" of Hornets nests!--I got stung about 20 times while getiing my mower in and out of it the past several years...I've tried Hornet spray,gasoline,diesel fuel,and paint thinner--all worked for awhile,but the bastards keep coming back!---

I'm ready to douse it with gas and throw a match at it!--I bring a can of carburator cleaner with me when I go near it now!(nothing kills hornets faster!)...so far,this year they have not been a big problem yet,as its only 45 degrees here and has rained 15 days this month alone--and the rain is not going to stop until next week...this spring has sucked almost as bad as our record breaking winter we just had...but I see they are back,just waiting for a warmer day to start building new nests....I'll get them yet! :mad: :mad:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Chlorinated brake cleaner kills'em good!
    Get-er-done :D

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was watchiing the discovery channel...and somewhere down south...Texas area I think, they have killer bees... that would be scary to get chased by. It said it takes a few miles to get rid of them they are that protective...
    If you didn't realize from there name...a certain amount of stings can kill a person (forget how many)

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Africanized Bees. They're some nasty, nasty critters. They're most especially awful as they swarm more intensely than regular ole bees. Just another little bonus of living in the Southwest U.S. :crazy:

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The carpenter bees will only sting when provoked. It's only the females that can sting too. You can tell them apart by their heads, the males have a white spot on their head...if you want to get close enough to look :p:
    My wife chases them with the fly swatter..(the males)

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah, they're swarms are HUGE from what they demonstrated on the show!
    Are they bad in Arizona, or are they easily avoided?

11. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Those suckas are everywhere here. I've seen them in a number of places in town here and met a guy when I was out hunting a couple of Months ago who makes honey only from Africanized bees. :confused:

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Have you ever been stung? I don't really want to go there anymore if they are everywhere :crazy:

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

encourage swallows to build nests, but then you'll have that proplem....We have all kinds of bees and wasps until they show up and then it's goodby yellow jackets.... :D

14. shewheeler

Thanks everyone!

Sevin dust gooooood :waytogo:
    carpenter bees baaaaaaaaaaaaaad :mad:

15. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Killer bees are scary ****! It happens every summer, some poor mexican gets attacked by a swarm of killer bees while mowing and some have died, but most live.

Down here in Texas, summer is here. Its been getting up to 95 most days and the bees are back. At my shop, I have a large I-beam that extends from the yard into the shop and on the yard side, its supported by a 8" diameter pipe. Well, I had a guy come to look at some parts the other day, and he pointed out a huge swarm of bees at the top of the post. It looks like they have a nest inside the post, and get to it through a hole. There were a ****load of them, like 2' worth down the pole, and thats just on the outside. I called the city people and they came and sprayed them with soapy water and stuffed a couple of paper towels in the hole. Well, after less than an hour after they left, the bees were back. I might take matters into my own hands and RAID the bitches, then cover their hole with duck tape.

16. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

all you need to do is wear some protective clothing, suck em all up wiht a shopvac, and throw something in the shop vac that will kill them. just stick the shop vac in the crack and stuck em all up.

17. shewheeler

You all have some very creative ways of killing things, however, I guess even if you just kill the momma and daddy bee, you still need to worry about the babies. Puffing Sevin dust into the nest entrance ensures that the momma bee drags it into the nest chambers thereby killing all the babies, too.

When fall comes, plug up the hole with a dowel and some wood glue, paint the bare wood and no more bad bees :woot:

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh no...one bad thing about Texas now... are they everywhere (like downtown, where all the buildings are) or just in the rural areas?

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

They arent very common. See, on the local level, so little interesting **** happens here that they report anytime a large beehive is found, whether they are killer bees or not. They're not really concentrated anywhere.

I had the city people come by to take care of my bees. They sprayed soapy water all over the pole (and one of my parts trucks...) and it scared the bitches off for awhile but after an hour they were back. My girlfriend's dad suggested just dousing them with gasoline, he said it kills them on contact so I might try that. Here's a pic of the bitches.

bees.jpg

20. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Never been stung but have learned to listen for their swarms. They travel from place to place and will often been seen in a tree or some sort of shelter resting. Just stay clear and your usually ok. :crazy: