Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beef up my 10 bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, Jul 24, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

My upgrade list is coming along and I am somewhat confused about the real deal on GM axles...

Is it really not worth trying to beef up my 10 bolts? The 10 bolt has good ground clearance and I have a long list of things ahead of an axle swap...Tire wise, I am only running 32s and don't plan on going past 35s. Everything indicates I should just wait till I break 'em and find a good replacement when (and if) the time comes...

I read on the UAV axle swap tech article that a Warn Full Float kit is availible, but all I can find prices on is JEEP kits! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I dont have no JEEP!!!

Thoughts Axle gods? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

wow, I love the principle but the cost is up there. That would make my daily driver K10 last forever on 31's! Just add disc brakes... and it is close to $1000.

Does that eliminate the C-CLips too?

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. BJarvis354

WOW...That is some serious cash'ola...Anybody know if the kits are worth the money (anyone seen one of these snap like a twig)? Axle work is looking like a long term project, given the costs.

Brady

6. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I don't know about up-grading something that never should of ben in a full size truck.Those 10 bolts bite!All the $ you put into 10 bolt you could have 3/4 ton stuff with good gears and lockers!
    It all depends on what you plan on doing w/ the K/5.Do you decent gears now?32" and 35" tires are a major difference.You can slide by with 3.42's with 32" tires but I would'nt try it with 35's.You will burn that tranny up if it is an auto.Plan ahead and build it once!

7. BJarvis354

I think I am gonna keep the 32s until I can afford to get better axles. Sounds like most people are running a 14FF rear and D60 front. I saw a post about picking up a military surplus K30 to steal the axles from for this...

Anyone know what the gearing would be like if I got some of those? Anyone have any input on what that swap is like?