Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beef up the 1/2 ton.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnnyFresno, Jul 22, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what all can be done to beef up the 1/2 ton to run 38's and 8 inches of lift. And is it true that 1/2 ton frames are smaller or diff in some way then the 3/4 tons and 1 tons?

Thanks

2. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, the 1/2 and 3/4 ton frames are the same, but the 1 tons are beefier. I could be totally wrong, but I think that's right.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You are correct.

Nothing really can be done to a 10 bolt or 12 bolt rear to make it hold up to 38s, that's just a hopeless mis-match. Leave the front axle open, get the alloy shafts and good u-joints and it'll live for a while (if not forever if you don't totally thrash it).

A 14 FF would be your best choice for the rear, obviously.

If you're talking about 8" of suspension lift you've opened up a whole new can of worms with the short wheelbase of a K5.

Keep in mind that a TH 350 and NP 208 in stock form are not the strongest setup you can get, but the TH 350 can be built up to handle damn near anything. The 208 will probably survive for at least a while. Other transfer cases are available too.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Not to butt in on the thread, but I have a 75 1/2ton burb with 33's and a 2" body lift and I wanna also put on a 4" suspension lift. I have the stock 350/TH350, NP203 with D44/12B. How am I looking?

5. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Your Looking better then me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

But thanks for the input guys. I really can't deicde what to go with right now, 6" and like 35's or 8" and like 38's or so. Im thinking I'll go with 6" and a shackle flip, and get new gear's.