Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beefing a 1/2 Ton....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

HAHA Made you look.

I have the chance to buy a nice 1/2 ton 2wd for a tow rig but I want to make sure its up to towing my blazer. I cant seem to find any information on towing specifications for the mid 80's chevy trucks. My truck and trailer are going to weigh around 5000-6000 pounds. Any way it has a 350/700R4 combo and of course the best all around wheeling axle ever made...the rear 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif. Would I need to do anything above and beyond adding a tranny cooler and maybe some rear leaf spring helpers to get this ting to tow my blazer.
    Thanks
    Brent

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think ya know what I'd say.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well, a 3/4 ton would be ideal. but if the price on the 1/2 ton is too good to pass up, add a B&M 24,000 cooler, a oil cooler, helper springs, look into a rear sway bar.

We did those mods on a S-10 blazer that tows a RX-7 race car. the mods made for a much less stressful and more comfortable tow.

suspension is kinda stiff on the street...

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Buy a cheap 2wd, change out the springs, spindles, hubs and rearend. and drive a 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OR

Strip the Blazer down to absolutely nothing so that it weighs nothing and you'll be fine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Get trailer brakes! Your blazer on a trailer will push that truck down the road. Does it have a 305V8? What about the gear ratio? A LWB would be better also. Helper springs or more springs in the pack will help the bumper stay out of the dirt.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thats in the works. If I get a good tow rig the blazer is going to be a trail rig only. Therefore I will trim major fat!

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't be towing with anything but a 3/4-ton... minimum. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Put in a 4.10 14ff, and 8 lug ft hubs. Your going to want tires with a higher load range anyway (not to mention more and larger lug nuts). Helper springs are a band-aid, I would get some 3/4 or 1 ton factory springs from the junkyard. Get a good class 4 receiver hitch, and for safety's sake dont even consider a trailer without brakes. I towed my K5 on a surge-brake u-haul trailer with it was not nearly as nice as it was after I got my trailer with electric brakes. Surge brakes will do the job but electric brakes are better. I agree on the huge cooler, but since its a 2WD and going to be towing 6000lbs I might go as far as throwing in a TH400. Sounds like a good platform for an inexpensive tow rig!