Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beefing up a ten bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnathan, Apr 10, 2006.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

I know....I know.... Dana 60....Right now I just can't afford that.What are the weak links of the 10 bolt?Should I go with some beefier axles or just some beefier u-joints?I'll be throwing a lock-rite in there....maybe leave it open to keep it alive:crazy:

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:waytogo:

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I can't in good conscience recommend that you spend any money on a 10 bolt. That said, I did and it had a pretty good run, but it is no longer in my truck and I didn't get anywhere near my investment back when I sold it (I went D60). I say get some good spicer joints (760X) and carry spare joints and shafts. Junkyard parts only, if you spend a bunch you'll regret it later. If you're running a big tire, leave it open or at most go with a limited slip. Mine had a TrueTrac and it went remarkably well, and stood up to my (at the time) 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX's. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Hope this helps.

4. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

So throw the matching gears in there for now and save for the 60.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In my opinion if you have the money to buy upgrades for ten bolt then you can prolly throw in a little more and get a 60 unless you just want a 10 bolt. that is why I have neither. I would love a dana 60 but because of my money situation and the fact that I just swapped in my dana 44 I prolly wont have one for a while.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i spent the cash to regear as well as stick a lockright in mine. very happy with that decision. 60 will be cool someday though.

ive blown up 1 ujoint so far.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

One thing with 10b, the dif hsg is not as deep, more clearance. For trail work, 10b may be best. 10b, LockRite, Spicer760X, WARN Premium, WARN clutch rings, 3:42s, 34.5 tires, 15PSI, 1/2T Burb, 350/TH350/NP208.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt put anymore than say $400-500 in a 10 bolt. anymore than that, and you are 50-75% there towards a 60.

a 14ff would be nice to avoid breakage in the rear so you can get home at least on the rear axle.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont forget premo ball joints as the cheepys dont like the abuse to much. i have seen a few with poped ball joints .

10. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Are these u-joints you speak of the same size as stock or will I need new axles to go with?

11. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The u-joints they are talking about are the axle shaft u-joints and you cannot fit any bigger u-joints (aftermarket or not) into a 10 bolt or dana 44 because the knuckles are not big enough. The u-joint, stub shaft or locking hub are generally considered the weak point on a 10 bolt or dana 44 front.

12. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

O.K makes since,I did'nt know if you could some larger ones in there or not.Thanks for clarifyin!!!

13. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Leave it open, run some good u-joints and get some spare shafts and spiders. I ran mine (dana 44) this way for two years with 37'' boggers and it didnt break to often for how much I thrashed it. Dont spend much and save for a 60!!

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

how much does a lockrite + some bling shafts cost? Thats right, more than a D60. Get the 60. :grin:

j

15. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: Well thts the plan ,go for the 60

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you do the math, fixing up a ten bolt will be a lot less than going with a 60.
    How often do you break the 10 bolt ? 1/2 ton stuff is six lug, 15 inch wheels. One ton is eight lug, 16 or 16.5 wheels. Plan on tires & wheels. Unless the axle gods drop a fresh d60 in your lap your gonna need to freshen it up and will need matching gears and maybe new brake pads. So now you have an eight lug front, what about the rear. If you like to do things right, by the time your done you'll have spent a couple grand doing a clean job. I have hot rodded 10 bolts that I bought from one of the guys in this thread when he went 1 ton. They serve me very well. I would like to go d60 and 14 bolt not cause I'm a hardcore rock monkey but I sure could use the bigger brakes when I tow my boat. Next for me will be 14 bolt w/rear disc and change the front to 3/4 ton eight lug.