Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beefing Up Frame For Heavy Duty Hitch !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jul 19, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

So has anybody done it ?

I want to put a 10,000 lb hitch on a 84 3/4 ton pickup and want some ideas on beefing up the frame rail to handle the stress from snatching stuff with a strap..

Here is a good pic of a standard install CLICK HERE TO SEE PIC

As you can see there are only 3 bolts that attach the hitch to the frame.. I want to add some strength to the frame area incase I want to snatch another truck or heavy object and need a running start :D

So let's here some ideas on how you might make it as strong as possible..

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

never heard of anyone beefing up the frame, and never hurting the frame from pulling anything out. but if i was to do it, make a plate to sit on top of the frame 3/16" thick that will sandwich the frame with all 3 bolts. but being you have a 3/4 ton, (unless light duty 3/4 ton) it will have the thicker frame so you don't need it.

remember there are 3 bolts on each side, so 6 bolts total. im 99% positive that they will give you grade 8 bolts also. to shear just 1 of the bolts will take 17,870 lbs of force, to shear all 6 you need 107,220 lbs of force.

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I know there is 6 bolts total but each side of the hitch only has 3 bolts to hold it on.. :D

I have never seen a hitch ripped off the frame but I have seen a few that were bent where the hitch bolts up.. I'm not so much worried about the bolts breaking more like the frame getting bent and twisted.. With all the talk about the steering box getting ripped off the frame I figured it wouldn't hurt to beef up the frame where the hitch is just incase :haha:

My thinking was to weld a piece of metal in that attaches the top rail to the bottom of the frame rail where the bolts attach.. Kinda like boxing the frame just in that area just for added support.. :dunno:

4. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

you mean like this:

[​IMG]

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I use 3/8" x 2" flat steel on top of the bottom frame rail and under the hitch to "sandwhich" the frame and hitch between them. It works real well. When we bought Michelle's '96 Z71 it's frame was bent VERY bad from the hitch hauling an overloaded trailer, I did my sandwhich trick and it has worked fine ever since.