Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beefing up my 10 bolt to withstand 39.5's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudbogAD, Sep 24, 2002.

1. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Beefing up my 10 bolt to withstand 39.5\'s

Now that I have my 39.5's I need more strength before I do some decent wheeln'. I've got a 14FF that I'm installing and I'm converting my 10 Bolt to 3/4 ton 8 lug. I need some opinions on what I need to make my front 10 bolt handle these 39.5's. I can't afford a D60 nor can I find one right now, so I need to make my setup work for now. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif HOPEFULLY

2. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Re: Beefing up my 10 bolt to withstand 39.5\'s

When I went to 39.5s, I broke a lot in my D44--spider gears, both inner shafts, one stub shaft, and both u-joints, all at once. But it took a while before it broke. Anyhow, this was with stock parts, so I think with some Chrome-moly axleshafts from Warn, some CTM u-joints, and a detroit locker, you would have a tough axle that would survive pretty well depanding on how heavy your right foot is. But all these modifications will run about $1000, so why not just go with a D60? My .02. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Will

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I tried to beef my D44 for 38s, spent well over $1k on it and still broke it all the time. Once I got all of the parts in my axle upgraded I started braking ring gears. And I didn't even have CTM joints. You're going to have bigger tires, and a marginally weaker axle. Save the money, limp it along, fix the breakage with cheap stock parts and save the money for a 60. </font color>

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

you will spend more than what a D60 would cost and it still isn't enough for 39.5s, IMO. I am a strong supporter of the 1/2 ton stuff. I think one of the reasons it gets such a bad rap is from people trying to run big (38+) tires on it. The 1/2 stuff is great up to a 35 or 36, but even then it can still break.

5. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I'm with shaggy on this one. 10 bolt parts are dime a dozen around me, a 10 bolt front axle is only $20, manual hubs $21. I carry all I can and oddly don't break when I have them, only when I forget em...Murphy's law I guess. Keep saving and searching, that D60 will show upsomeday.

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

D60. you are half way between LA and Arizona, two places with good wheeling populations. scoure (sp?) the classifieds and keep looking for your D60. it might take a while to find one at the right price, but they do come around...

7. orlandoc

orlandoc Registered Member

I have a complete 3/4 ton off my 84 chev sub for sale. You think you may need it? Let me know

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

adam it looks like a D60 would be about the same price. and wouldn't you just love to see a D60 under the front of the jimmy? i'll most likely come back from colledge with one, it's inevitable man. if i were you i'd just get your front shaft made up and take it easy til you can afford a 60. if you break, you break, we learn how to replace axleshafts and u joints.

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'll just do that then. I'll start searchin junk yards and stuff and maybe I'll get lucky/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks