Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BEEF'n 'ER UP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Apr 2, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

BEEF\'n \'ER UP!!

I have decided that a 4" Superlift and 3" body lift are going on my Jimmy. I'm going to put some 14-35-15 Gumbos on it. I am going to need a new engine here in the next year. I want to hear from all of you guys. Tell me what else I can do to beef up my truck. I'm talk'n axles, gears, winch, etc. I got a light bar, so don't need that. Just give me your ideas on what you would like to see on a Blazer/Jimmy. Just cuz you gave me an idea doesn't mean I'm going to do it. Now, let's get some feedback!! Thanks GUYS/GALS!!

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Re: BEEF\'n \'ER UP!!

mosier axles for sure and truss them also.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Hmm.....7" of lift is quite a bit for 35s. one guy i see driving around sometimes has a 4" lift, 36" swampers, 3/4 ton axles, and Bushwacker cut-out flares. it looks real good. with a serious motor and 35s, the stock axles will be begging for mercy. find a 3/4 ton truck and take the axles out of it, and start from there. It's easier to buy 16.5" wheels and tires once than it is to buy 15s then 16.5s. with 35s, 4.10 or 4.56 gears would be right. good luck!!</font color=blue>

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

It depends on application, but generally 4.11 or numerically higher gears would help moving those big tires.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

a sattelite dish, a cow catcher, tank tracks, ..... well, you did say you may not use our suggestions so....

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey brotha. Personally, I'd stay away from the body lift. Not only could you run into some trouble installing it with clearances and shifters and stuff, but it can put too much leverage on the body mounts. If you'll just keep it on the street and in some mud it probably won't be that bad. If you start slamming it around and doing some jumps, it might be bad news with a 3 inch body lift.
    Those 10-bolts should also be traded in on some 3/4 ton axles, like the other guys said.
    One more thing, then I'll shut up. Are you sure you want to go with the 35 inch Gumbos? They are a bias-ply tire and won't be much fun to drive on pavement.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. BLzr4x4ngkid

Ryan,
    I don't plan on bouncing it around too much. I'm basically stuck on what to do about lifting it. I want 6", but with all the mods, I just don't see it happening. I already have the body lift, because I bought it a while back. I just don't know what to do. Since I have joined the "Gimp Club,"(......hmmmmm wanna join?) I probably won't have the lift on until the end of April. Just let me know what you think. Lata

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

Guys, I'm hard struck on what to do. I know that there is so much one can do to a Blazer/Jimmy. I want to lift it sooo bad, but all the stuff I want to do to it just seems so far out of reach.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What you need to do is ONE thing at a time! If you try to think of every mod all at once your head will spin for a solid week!
    Start with your suspension lift and get new drive shafts.
    Then move on to the next faze.
    I'm on my 7th year and faze 42! [​IMG]
    It never stops, never, never [​IMG]
    late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

10. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Yes, go with Burts suggestion. do the suspension lift first. then look at the result, then tires or body lift. Personally I have a body lift and had very few problems putting it on. Shifter exteder, .89 at home depot, some braketry for the bumpers. Although im getting them welded on instead bolted on. fuel filler was fine plenty of length there. Steering no mods, some wiring was lengthened and a better ground was given. Oh yeah snapped my speedo cable. that was about it. I have 6" of lift and 3" of body on BK