Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

beefy bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pow06er, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about buying this warn classic bumper off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3653&item=7988288857&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_home

about $300 seems good

unless i can find a cheaper way to have someone bulid me a bumper i would do that but i havent really seen any good pics or ideas of one

im kinda kicking myself for buying that new chrome bumper off lmc i think im gonna just buy the warn bumper

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've had a few Warn and Ramsey winch bumpers (not brush guards) and the only thing beefy about them is the winch box itself. The "wings" are flimsy and will even bend some if you stand on it (like when working on th truck).

In fact, I current have a Ramsey bumper on my crew cab and I hate it. I plan to give it / throw it away if I can ever find a clean, straight OE bumper.

3. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

wat does ur ramsey bumper look like?

I could work out a trade :D my bumper is less than 2 months old

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Here's the bumper -

[​IMG]

It looks great in the pic but it's far from it. There are small 1" long cracks at the lower corners of the winch box where it blends into the wings. Also looking at it from the top down the sag towards the outer ends of the wings is more noticable.

I would live to trade for a 2 month old clean bumper but to be honest I doubt mine is worth it.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate Warn bumpers, everyone I've ever seen was flimsy junk.

6. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

hmmm i really dont like the look of the diy4x front bumpers I did like the warn's tho maybe i could try to see if someone local could make one

7. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Hold onto your money. Look at this link, some pics and links to manufacturers. Bumper link

8. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

i have an idea

Can u get me measurements of that exactly? And maybe put them on paint? so i can see?

Im thinking my uncle is a good welder

my dad works at a steel mill and so does my uncle

Im thinking making a warn look alike out of 1/4" steel plating

9. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  10. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

well 4wdmetalworks is as i understand kinda on hold or something you should ask steve....shoot him a PM and he will direct you to how to get into touch with 4wdmetalworks to see if you can work something out.... otherwise i'd just send the pic to geargrinder and see if he could fab one up like it.

hope this help...

11. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can make 'em like that. But I will warn ya, they are heavy to ship so it's a little on the spendy side. I make 'em bullit proof! :wink1:
    Just shoot me an E-mail (in sig.) if U are interested.

12. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

I thought the Warn bumpers were suppose to be built pretty strong.. But if you can stand on them and bend them then I wouldn't call that strong :eek1: .. I thought about getting one for my 84 K-20 because it had the winch mount.. My father in-law built a nice front bumper for his Ford but it's not a winch mount.. I might just get him to help me build one for mine and figure out how to mount the winch..

Oh yeah if your giving yours away let me know I could use the mounts :D

13. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

Wat kind of price are we talking for a bumper like a warn made?

If I could just get measurements I can get 1/4" plating for free and my uncle is a pretty good welder

14. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I have a warn classic on my burb and it was real flimsy until I had a friend weld some diamond plate on top of it. Now you can stand on it without it flexing. The warn enforcer that I had on the 91 blazer had a stout winch mount but the ends were made of plastic. If they had extended the steel out it wold have been a decent bumper. It was a great platform to work on the motor.

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have the classic on my 91 Blazer. I think it is stronger than what ppl are saying. The only time mine flexed is b4 i attached the end supports. Welding a new top plate or putting one on the bottom would make it much stronger. The thing I didn't like was how far it stuck out from the truck. It could be made to fit 4-6 inches closer if you redrilled the mount bracket. Mine is coming off this weekend. I am mounting the winch to a plate between the front frame rails and making a bumper from 2x6 box 3/16. It will have a reinforced hole made on it to mount the fairlead to. I believe this will be the strongest and easiest way to get what I want.

16. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

is the warn classic worth $300

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Yes. I paid almost 600 for mine with the mounting bracket and shipping. 3 months ago

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well if you cant get your uncle to make you one, send me a PM. :D

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe you could buy it, and then pay someone to plate it in with extra metal from the back side???

That way the cosmetics look the way you want, and the bumper would be beefier..... :wink1:

20. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

I bought and installed the same bumper on my K5. One thing you must do in this bumper is to reinforced the wing by making sure you reused the wing brackets from your old bumber and get a set of wing plate thick enough to support it. I am talking about the plates that goes on top of the wings. The original plates that comes with the bumper are thin. I had mine made from 1/4 thick plate. It worked good for me, infact a couple of weekends ago I hit thick wall of MUD, front bumper first. The truck went into a suddent halt hitting the mud going down hill about 5 miles per hour. I though for sure my bumper is either vent or dented, to my surprise, after pulling my self out of the mud, nothing was damage just small scrathes.
    here is a pic http://community.webshots.com/mypho...D=246000292&photoID=401805352&security=jccLtA

http://community.webshots.com/mypho...D=246000292&photoID=292913158&security=GlwysN

http://community.webshots.com/mypho...D=246000292&photoID=292913198&security=rktQBb