Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Been doing some searches...6.2 temp...how to get smoke

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 14, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is an optimum temperature to be running on the 6.2? Also, I was considering getting an exhaust temp gauge to tune it for max performance, but at the same time, I thought only turbo diesel benefitted from these. What are your thoughts on an electric water pump, if they even make them? I don't know why I'm asking that because on the trail the Toy will run constantly, spectating or being spectated. An electric fan will be the only thing I can run given the lack of space under the hood. I can probably scratch an electric water pump though. Sticks out too far. Sorry for all this guys, I'm just thinking out loud.

Now for my weird question. I love smoke. I want the Toy to smoke, but I don't want to add anything harmful to the fuel or something that would damage the engine. Is there a way to "naturally" get it to roll black smoke when I stomp it, or does it come from wear?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Generally, an engine that smokes black is overfueled, the Diesel equal to a gas engine being rich. Just turn the pump up, it'll smoke! Don't over-do it though, wouldn't want to melt stuff.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Ok. Good info there.

Maybe I'm overexaggerating a little on the amount of smoke I want. I'm not talking Peterbilt smoke pulling a fully loaded trailer of logs, just enough to be visible pretty good.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

More diesel will give you WHITE smoke, not black! also, you could add a water jet and just burn water in your engine, supposively there's a lot of talk about it actually helping to clean carbon from your valves and cleans the engine very well, Seems like a lot of trouble for something most of us want to get rid of..... Here's an idea, I'll trade you engines, mine comes with plenty of smoke benefit!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    More diesel will give you WHITE smoke, not black!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Bruce-

Unless your engine is "special", it should be blowing black smoke when you're heavy on the pedal(unless it's really cold outside/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)........

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Unfortunately for you, black smoke is a sign of incomplete diesel combustion. If you're getting black smoke out of the exhaust it means that your engine isn't running at it's best. If you really want to put on a smoke show, you're gonna have to be willing to compromise performance and power to achieve it.

But...........if you're really serious about the smoke thing, try running a dirty air filter. It will give you the desired results.

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

My friend told me to put a little transmission fluid in the tank before I fill it up. That's not something I really want to do.

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with the hard on the pedal, but think about early morning and a bit cold, When theengine is cold, it doesn't burn as much diesel, it blows whitish smoke! Whenever you go to crank the diesel and you forget to hit the GP, it will blow white smoke! Now when you're hard on the pedal you get black smoke,(I don't know this, so feel free to correct me) but doesn't that have something to do with more than just extra fuel! Mine blows black at full throttle and it has alot to do with oil... Rings are worn... That was my way of thinking at least! I do know that unburnt fuel is white, every Hummer I've started blows white smoke!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. BlueBlazer

Black smoke comes from an amount of fuel in the combustion chamber too high to be completely burned. This is from overfueling the engine or from a lack of air. White smoke is from low combustion temps like a cylinder with low compression or a or more likely cold combustion chamber on a cold day, or coolant. Oil burning blows blue smoke no matter what engine it is in, it makes no contribution to black smoke.

11. BlueBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    But...........if you're really serious about the smoke thing, try running a dirty air filter. It will give you the desired results.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best and easiest idea yet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Don't anyone take this the worng way, but the ID10T problem is why diesel's in general have a bad wrap. Now I will admit there are times that it is down right funny (story to follow), but do all the time is hurting the perception of deisels. Could even go back to the thread of why deisel is so much more expensive. Oil company's refuse to make more of it for the residential market, cause the ones that have the deisels are giving it a bad name.

OK now the story.

First, at work, there was this gal that drove a suped up Dodge with the Cummins, power chip and all. Well there is also this Director that everyone hated, I am talking a major brown nosing suck up. He was the brunt of most office jokes. He did deserve it though.

Well on day the Director rides his motorcycle. He has a helmet, but of course he choses to leave it strapped to the back of the back. Well is leave and at the stop sign turning out on the road who is he behind, the dodge. Well this gal sees him behind her. She reaches over and turns on the power to the chip. Well she sees her opening in traffic and just lays on the skinny pedal. That guy was washing the soot out of his hair for a week. It was the funniest damn thing I ever saw. He is sitting there that cloud for ever bit of a minute before it finally clears off him. Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BlueBlazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Could even go back to the thread of why deisel is so much more expensive. Oil company's refuse to make more of it for the residential market, cause the ones that have the deisels are giving it a bad name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you hear this? Sounds fishy to me.

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Ya'll listen to BlueBlazer62 - he is right on track .
    Tom
    BigOrange,
    As far as E.G.T.'s occasionally spiking high for short time periods may be O.K. but don't let them stay high for too long. Are you taking your readings pre or post ?

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you taking your readings pre or post ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do huh? Hehe, I don't even HAVE a 6.2 yet. I was kinda wondering if an E.G.T. is even necessary for a 6.2.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey man I will trade you mine anytime.
    I have a problem with the smoke most of the times, and maybe I can give you a way.
    Mine smokes becuase it doesn't use Glow Plugs, it's a perkins farm tractor engine.
    It's smokes white when it starts, and gets a little better after I start driving it.
    When I push it hard on the highway after 10-15min, the smoke goes (it's turbo so riding it hard will get it hot fast)
    let it sit for 2 min and smoke comes back.
    All you need is to make it colder, and you figure out how.
    As for black smoke, you need to dump more fuel, but personnaly on the rare occasions that it does give black smoke, it scares me, becuase it comes with an explosion and a big black puff.
    I can deal with the white, and I don't mind it much, but my club nick named me SMOKEY JOE.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. BigOrange90Jimmy

What kind of numbers (power) are you getting from that engine? I'd almost be interested if you weren't on the other side of the country. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of numbers (power) are you getting from that engine? I'd almost be interested if you weren't on the other side of the country. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

140 HP @ 1800RPM.
    410 LBS-ft @ 800RPM

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

Interesting. What would I find one of these engines in and how did you go about mating it to the 465, or was it a straight bolt in? Also, how big is it compared to a 6.2?

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Interesting. What would I find one of these engines in and how did you go about mating it to the 465, or was it a straight bolt in? Also, how big is it compared to a 6.2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the truck the way it is.
    It's a 354ci inline six so it's the same dimensions as a cummins 5.9l
    It is using a cast iron belhousing that was supposedly available in some P30 step vans with the SM465.

This particular engine came from a farm tractor, but they were available I heard in automotive applications such as the step van and some cube vans.

I will ty and find the reciepts and get the name of the company that did the change, maybe they can give me some data.