Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Been searchin'...off topic A/C

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgillyk5, Apr 18, 2007.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I seem to remember a post about someone asking if it was safe to purge their a/c system themselfs. Do you really need special tools? This is a non-cfc 134a system in a 94 ford probe. Dont want to hurt anyone or breath in anything harmful...complete a/c noob here.

Really need this car gutted out asap.

Thanks guys.

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

it is illegal to vent refrigerant. I think there is like a $10,000.00 fine if caught.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Ten bucks is cool...if it doesn't kill me or anybody else. Just dont know if their is a way to do it yourself with out 200 bucks worth of equipment? Like letting the pressure out of a tire.

This is non-cfc R134a not R12...Is one not as toxic as the other and what is the no non-sense way to remove this A/C system?...Or is this something everyone takes to a shop?

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I actually think he meant $10,000.00 fine. It is not a little thing. If you need the refrigerant evacuated thn you need to get it to a shop and have them do it. I am by no means a nature nazi, but I don't pour oil down the drain and I don't bleed freon into the ozone. Just be responsible.

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

I agree... just ignorant on the newer stuff. I was under the impression "non-cfc" ment it was ozone friendly...but if it is bad I will have someone do it right. I would never pour oil on the ground, just looking for info on purging the pressure so I can dismantle the system.

6. tennyohpc

tennyohpc 1/2 ton status

ok like it was said it is against the law to vent freon into the atmosphere. $10,000 and up to 5 years in prison if i remember correctly.i am section 608 type 1 certified tech and i would not vent. Some places will only charge you a slight fee to recover the freon.

Now on the issue of it being not as toxic the answer is it has a lesser ozone depletion factor. with that being said it is actually lower then propane. so propane is more harmful to vent then r134. now R134a is some nasty stuff when combined with a heat sorce it breaks down into some nasty componds that can and will mess up your respertory system. so with that being said if you do vent do it safely. make sure to barely crack the lines till it starts to hiss may take about 15 min to fully die down. and Do Not expose to FLAME. but again i must say according to section 609 of the clean air act it is unlawful.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine self purges constantly. I wouldn't vent the stuff just for fun, but if its 134, its not that big a deal.

8. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Vent it. Who cares. I'm sure you're not the only one who's done it. Just do it safely, and make sure nobody that might care sees you doing it. You can do whatever you want, just don't get caught ;)

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

OMG!!! Are you ****ing kidding me? What the hell kind of non-sense is this... ok hold on. I see a 'wink' at the end of your comment. Are you just kidding, or are you really stupid?

If your really stupid, then that statement proves it. If you are kidding, WHEEEWWWWW...

Anyway, EVERYTHING about your statement is the exact opposite of what any responsible person who has even the tiniest big of social concience or moral fortitude would do.

I sure hope you were joking...

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Calm down, I'm not telling him he should just go ahead and do it. But if he does, and nobody sees or hears about it, who will ever know? Maybe he can't afford to pay a shop to do it?

Personally, I wouldn't do it myself, because I have friends that are ASE certified and have equipment to do it properly.