Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Been wondering something....(winch question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so let's say I bought a hydro winch.

I hooked it up normally through the steering pump, blah blah blah....

Scenario....I get on the trail and one of two things happens.

1) The pump fails
    2) The motor dies

I'm left stranded.......

But,

What if I were smart and bought a hydraulic pump from a low-rider shop. Could it be plumbed in and valved in a way that when the steering pump was working, it wouldn't flow fluid, and when it was needed, a few valves could be opened and the electric hydro pump used instead, sort of a "limp mode"?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Theoretically yes, realistically, you're talking a huge pain and way too much money to be practical. It'd be easier to just do a full electric over hydraulic setup if you're serious about it.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

Aight, maybe i'll just grab a 5HP briggs from work and a hydro pump off a Scag mower and do it like that....

4. mikey_d05

Now you're out of my realm of expertise. I have no idea what it takes for pressure and flow to run a hydro winch. I'm sure a northern hydraulic catalog and a couple simple calculations would give you the answer you're looking for. Just remember as reliable as all the Brigg's I've had have been it's a lot of weight and a second motor to not fire when you really need it. If you've got the ambition to go for it, make sure you report back and tell us how it worked. :bow:

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

Aight, I'll be sure to do that. May have to go to a bigger pump, but that's no prob. If nothing else, I'll make a bracket to run a stock steering pump with a coupler shaft........IDEAS! HAHAHA!!!! I love being bored at college. :doah: :D

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

Yeah, that's how I'll do it. I won't even tie it to the steering pump on the engine. I'll just have my stand alone system. Also, since I'm thoroughly versed in the ways of the Briggs, I could easily repair it!

7. mikey_d05

I hear ya man, I'm sittin here doing homework online and dreaming up junk for my truck, there's a pile of parts waiting at home and there are more on the way with new ideas floating constantly.

8. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Gonna be funny looking with that lawnmower hanging off the front of your rig. BTW,thanks mikey for hooking me up with Muddog-he had just what I needed.Props to ya

9. mikey_d05

Yeah, no problem man. He's a good guy and treated me well, found him on e-bay and he cut me a deal on shipping. Learned later that we shared the same hobby after he introduced himself on here.

As for the motor...I'd be willing to bet you could make it work under the rig or in the engine compartment, a 5 hp Briggs is a pretty substantial piece but you can wedge the bastard somewhere.

10. destinbeachman

Oh yeah,it could be made to work-it's just a LOT bigger than a pair of yellow top Optimas.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

Words of wisdom from someone who has NO IDEA what they're talking about......

The beauty of having no bed and a lot of space...

The next time you have a thought, let it go.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might not work..

I'm not sure if a stock GM power steering pump has sufficient pressure and volume to run a hydraulic winch..a better solution would be a "normal" small hydraulic pump and a starter motor coupled together,or a snowplow hydro-electric setup,or the ones used on power liftgates and dump bodies..A 5hp Briggs is another thing that wont start or gets flooded with mud and water on the trail.you wont want that aggravation!-- :rolleyes:

I had a setup like that on a car trailer--it SUCKED!--took me longer to get the motor started,and running long enough to drag the car on the trailer than the ride to the scrapyard did!.. :doah: --if it was a rainy day,I usually had to hand crank the load onto the trailer,since spray from the tires would drown the Briggs motor!.. :mad:

I've seen winches that look like a chainsaw with the winch bolted in place of the saw bar,that pull 3500 lbs!--that is one way to get a gas powered winch,and usually chain saws start better than most other small motors..sometimes!. :crazy:

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well, I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I'm out maybe $50.

14. destinbeachman

No idea? My ASME membership speaks for itself.

15. mikey_d05

Destin, to avoid a huge hijack pm me or shoot me an e-mail, i'm a freshman going into mechanical engineering and would like to ask some questions.

16. BigOrange90Jimmy

If you want to come on here and bash my ideas on doing something cheap, pony up the $25 then carry it to PM's. DILLIGAF if you have an "ASME" membership? Many projects on this site were created by people without them, and they work. You're not going to be the authority of my truck, nor my ideas.

Where in my post have you even remotely read evidence of having a LAWNMOWER on the front of my truck?

Second, don't talk to me about size. A 5HP Briggs IS NOT bigger than two yellow top Optimas.

I've worked in the field on both the engine and the hydraulics portion. I know what it is capable of. I'll be more than glad to pull you out with it when I'm done.

17. destinbeachman

Dude,take a chill pill.I'm not bashing anyone about their ideas.My initial reply was just a joke.Know what that is?

18. BigOrange90Jimmy

Yeah, I know what a joke is, just can't read them well. It's been a rough week up here at Appalachian State....add to that the fact that my sinuses are bothering me again.

My apologies, bro. :doah: :bow:

19. mikey_d05

Dude, calm the hell down

20. destinbeachman

No sweat man,we're all brothers in here...Allen