Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beer Lovers:Good Pilsners???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Jan 16, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Man I just tried a new beer and think I have an new favorite pinned down. Used to be a shiner bock man, but I just had one of the new shiner hefewiezen's and it rocks! Been drinking Bittsburger Pilsner with my new father in law lately too. That's damn good stuff as well. Anyone have any suggestions along the same lines? I love beer and the only ones that I really dont care for is dark ales. Gimme some new ones I can wet my whistle on!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Man, we live in microbrew heaven in the Northwest..........we have a local Hefeweizen made by Widmer Brothers that kicks tail................unfiltered wheat beer with a wedge of lemon rocks.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

3. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

Pilsner Urquel(sp?) Very good pils from Yugoslavia. mmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeer.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I don't know if you can get it in TX. but try Red Tail Ale from the Mendocino Brewing Co. It's a microbrew from Mendocino County CA. I highly recomend it with a choice cut of grilled beef your taste buds will thank you.
    Corey 78K5

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I am not a big fan of drinking it.... but I like Sierra Nevada brew.... not sure if it counts here though....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan,

That's that one I was telling you about last time I was over at the house isn't it? The one with the directions on the bottle to pour half then shake or something like that. Guess I need to make a run to the strip since I just drank my last shiner, doh.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Boy I had some of that sierra nevada celebration ale when i was in tahoe over christmas. That stuff is STOUT, a little too much of an ale for me. I do like the pale ale though. Les, I dont remember you saying that before. I've seen it but never bought it. I'm glad that I have now though, awesome stuff and much cheaper than the german hefen...

I've also seen the red tail. Is it a harsh or mild ale?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I Would rate it as a medium best way to descibe it is mild but more full bodied than your tradishional american beer's.
    Corey 78K5

9. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

last good pilsner i had was in austria called dinkle or something or other, every town has there own brewerey. sure beat the hell out of miller lite. but ill take a good wheat beer over anything else, but just leave out that damn lemon. never liked it, or understood why they put fruit in beer.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.plymouthscreenprinting.com>www.plymouthscreenprinting.com</a>

10. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

You've never had a Damn good Bittburger until you've been to Bitburg, Germany!!!!!!!!! I used to live near there and my brother lives there now. It's great to go see him and drink some stubby's! Oh just a tidbit of info. a properly poured Bitburger takes 7 minutes to pour into a glass. You must have alot of foam at the top then let it go down and pour some more and so on until it's full.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Now that's the kinda tech info that makes this board rock!!! My father in law used to live in Germany too (military) and now he has all sorts of german traditions. The 4 types of sausage for christmas dinner had to be the best though. I love a good bratwurst anyday!!!

Sherman, Tx

12. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Amen! Just spent a week in Munich and fell in love with weisbier! How I never had a wheat beer before that is beyond me. So now my favorite beer is Franziskaner - any other recommendations? The local yuppy bar has it on tap and I was kind of suprised they put a lemon in it. Must be an American thing?

As for pilsners, I'll find a good one as soon as I'm off my wheat beer kick.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

13. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Laketex - just reread your post. I have a question for you, BlazzinOR and kumma (and anyone else who knows wheat beers). This is in regards to my post above.

Apparently not all hefeweizens are created equal. After drinking weisbier in Munich, I assumed all wheat beer had the clove taste associated with it. With that in mind, I was kind of dissappointed when I tried the Pyramid hefeweizen. Don't get me wrong - it's a good beer but it didn't have that distinct German flavor to it. Since that, I've done a little research and it seems like the clove taste is more of a Bavarian thing.

So - Do any American breweries have wheat beers with the unique German flavor?

I will happily sample all recommendations. :)

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?