Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Beer + Saw = Oops!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, May 13, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Is this roll bar too short? It clears me and my wife's heads by about 4 inches and I can move my head around without hitting it. I bought it for $50 from the junk yard and earlier this week me and some guys from work were drinking and decided to cut it (it was originally on a pickup and it now needs to clear the hardtop), using our eyecrometers to measure it:doah: . It had to fit under the top, I don't think that's going to be a issue now, but I can't quite tell if it looks right. I don't think it's an actuall protective roll bar, but it's better than nothing. At least until I can get a better one. Right? I was plannning on welding on new base plates and putting it in this weekend.
    Edit: I plan on putting some kind of padding on the bar and have contemplated putting some kind of spacer on the legs of it to lift it up. Any opinions would be much appreciated. THanks.

4-17 026.jpg

4-17 027.jpg

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Why not just use the scrap tube and plate you cut off to graft on some extensions??

If you want to make it as strong as new, just "sleeve" in a smaller diameter tube on the inside of the original bar and use a series of plug welds and a perimeter weld to lock everything into place.....

The great thing about metal is that it's NEVER too late. Just weld it back together and try again!!! :)

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To give you an idea how much too short that is here is a side shot of my cage that fits under the hardtop...

[​IMG]

Looks like yours is at least 4" too short...

Rene

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the bad thing is that we cut 6 inches off of it. Darn it. Yeah, I think that sleeving it is a good idea. Would it be better to go with smaller tubing on the inside or bigger tubing on the outside (finally a chance to use my new welder)? And as far as mounting it, do need to cut access holes in the rocker boxes underneath the truck to bolt down the front legs of the bar? Drunken hands are the devil's playground...:doah: